We are a collection of Minneapolis folks cooking, preserving, and harvesting local, seasonal foods. This blog-share is meant to inspire greater culinary genius, as well as continued local food invention. What are YOU concocting in that kitchen of yours?

3.18.2012

Sea Scallops!

I decided to take some days off this week in honor of my birthday. A five-day weekend seemed like a really good present to myself! I also seem to be treating myself to all kind of delicious food items, including some sea scallops (which I have been salivating over for the past few weeks). They are not cheap, running about $24/pound at Seward, but they were going to be my "start of vacation" dinner, so I bought 4 of them (1/3 of a pound) and made them for dinner.

I vaguely followed the recipe linked here, but changed it a bit to include what I had on hand. Oh this was so good! The sweetness of the scallop with the salty bacon and greens was perfect. I'll multiply the amounts so that the recipe below will serve two generous portions (I could have eaten 1/2 a pound of scallops, they are so good).

1 pound sea scallops
1/4 pound bacon, chopped
1 bunch of kale, chopped
1 onion, chopped
Fresh lemon juice
salt and pepper

Chop bacon and saute in a large skillet for 5 minutes. Add onions and continue to saute until onions are translucent and bacon is crispy. Set bacon/onions aside, but reserve the bacon fat for cooking the shallots (you'll use the same pan).

While onion is cooking, start the kale steaming in a covered pot with an inch or two of water or broth at the bottom (I used broth because I had some, and it added really nice flavor).

Add the shallots to the pan with bacon fat, and cook on both sides for about 5 minutes each.

While they are cooking, pour out any extra water from the kale, then add the bacon/onion mix. Saute together for a few minutes and salt and pepper to taste, and squeeze fresh lemon (maybe a Tablespoon or so).

Serve scallops on top of greens. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment