We are a collection of Minneapolis folks cooking, preserving, and harvesting local, seasonal foods. This blog-share is meant to inspire greater culinary genius, as well as continued local food invention. What are YOU concocting in that kitchen of yours?

11.05.2013

Meatloaf with Chimichurri Sauce

The snow is starting to fall! I am watching the snowflakes while I await the results of the Minneapolis mayor election and type up this blog post. It seems highly unlikely that this snow will stick around, but my mind does turn to some winter comfort foods in the midst of the chilly weather.

Last night I tried a new meatloaf recipe - more of an Argentinean take on things with a chimichurri sauce. It turned out delicious! Chimichurri is a parsley sauce that is typically served with grilled meat of any kind, though I have not actually had it prior to making it yesterday. It's really nice and fresh tasting, and was a great way to use up lots of parsley from the garden before this freeze/snowfall. I also liked the alternative to a tomato-ketchup-y sauce. The chimichurri is not so sweet, but is really flavorful and bright tasting.

My recipe is based on "Argentinean-style Meatloaf with Chimichurri" from my Odd Bits cookbook. It does not make use of any animal odd bits though - she makes it using brisket (that she puts through a grinder). I made it using ground venison - and ground burger would work just fine. I also made some mashed cauliflower - because what is meatloaf without it?! I also kind of freaked out when i was looking at my grocery receipt where my 3.3 lb cauliflower cost the same as the 2 lb pork belly, and as a large Callister farm chicken (which was on sale). I obviously had not paid close attention to the cauliflower costing over $4 a pound or some such. I mean - that is a little crazy! I will be buying conventional from here on out.

Not the best photo - but very tasty!
Meatloaf with Chimichurri
2 T beef dripping or lard
1 large onion, chopped
3/4 c. diced mushrooms
1 lb spinach, stemmed & chopped
(I used frozen nettles instead)
2 1/4 lb ground brisket
1 scant T coconut flour
1 large egg
coarse sea salt
cayenne pepper
freshly ground black pepper
Sauce:
3 c flat leaf parsley leaves
1 shallot, chopped
1 clove garlic, germ removed (opt)
1/3 c extra virgin olive oil
1 T red wine vinegar
1/2 tsp dried oregano

1. In a large frying pan over medium heat, add the drippings; when the fat is hot add the onions and mushrooms and cook until onions are softened, about 5 minutes. Increase the heat to medium high and add the spinach/greens and continue to cook, stirring, until the all the water from the spinach and mushrooms has evaporated. Set aside to cool.
2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
3. In a large bowl mix meat, cooled spinach mixture, and coconut flour. Whisk the egg with 2 teaspoons of salt and 1 teaspoon cayenne and season with pepper; add to the beef and mix well. (From here you can take a small spoonful of the mix and fry it up as a mini patty to taste it and check the seasoning, or just forge ahead. Mine tasted good.)
4. Pack the meat mixture into a 6 cup loaf pan, mounding it in the center. Bake for 55 minutes; meatloaf will have shrunk (is that a word?) from the sides of the pan.
5. Meanwhile, place the parsley, shallot, and garlic in a food processor and process until finely chopped. Add olive oil, vinegar, oregano, and a pinch of salt and cayenne and process until well mixed. Transfer the chimichurri to a small bowl.
6. Remove the meatloaf from the oven and let it rest 10 minutes. Slice and serve with the chimichurri sauce. This is delicious with mashed cauliflower, and also tastes nice cold.

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to try this! There is a big gap in organic cauliflower right now, but it's supposed to be better soon, so the price should come down. I hope so!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah thanks for the tip. I wonder why the big gap....? I'll keep my eye on it.

    ReplyDelete