We are a collection of Minneapolis folks cooking, preserving, and harvesting local, seasonal foods. This blog-share is meant to inspire greater culinary genius, as well as continued local food invention. What are YOU concocting in that kitchen of yours?

8.15.2014

Thai/Hmong Larb Salad

I have made this dish twice in the last few weeks because it is so great to eat with garden cucumbers and makes a really good work lunch. I used to make this salad back in my vegetarian days with mock duck (after discovering it at Chang Mai Thai restaurant), but that was years and years ago, and I had sort of forgotten about it. Then I went to the World Street Kitchen a few weeks ago and had the lemongrass meatballs wrapped in lettuce.* They triggered my memory of larb salad, which gets wrapped in lettuce or eaten with cucumbers (and rice, traditionally). I realized they are a perfect paleo food item - especially at this time of year.
*The meatballs and pickled cucumbers at WSKwere delicious, btw. I recommend them for some easy paleo eating out.)

I created a recipe based on a few I found online, and then "paleo-izing" them, which really just meant not using any rice flour. This recipe is also set up for what is currently in my garden...if it were green onion season, those would be in there instead of regular onions - so modify accordingly. Garlic would also be good, and is traditional - but I can't eat it so it is not in this version.

Larb Salad
1 T lard or coconut oil
1 lb ground or minced beef
1/2 onion, finely diced
2 tsp chili pepper flakes (or sliced/minced hot chili pepper)
1-2 Tbsp fish sauce, to taste
lime juice to taste (I use the juice of 1/2 a lime)
salt and pepper to taste
1-2 tsp coconut aminos/tamari
1 big handful chopped cilantro
2 big handfuls chopped mint
(some minced lemongrass or kafir lime leaves are also good if you have them)

1. Heat fat in pan and add onions. Saute until beginning to become translucent, then add chili pepper and beef. Cook until meat is browned.
2. Transfer beef/onion mix to a bowl, and stir in remaining ingredients. It should be well-seasoned and richly flavored since you eat it with crisp veggies. Adjust the lime juice/fish sauce/aminos to your liking.
3. Serve with lettuce and cucumbers - you can scoop the larb up on cucumber planks, or wrap the larb in lettuce. It's delicious! And translates well at room temp for a work lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment