We are a collection of Minneapolis folks cooking, preserving, and harvesting local, seasonal foods. This blog-share is meant to inspire greater culinary genius, as well as continued local food invention. What are YOU concocting in that kitchen of yours?

10.01.2014

Sicilian Dried Zucchini

I stumbled upon this dried zucchini recipe at Hunter, Angler, Gardener, Cook recently, and decided it would be worth testing out since I am always on the hunt for new ways to consume zucchini. (My fave way of eating zucchini lately is actually the Zucchini Noodle Bowl I posted a month or two ago - it's become a staple breakfast for me. Zucchini makes fantastic Asian soup noodles - I can eat this several mornings a week it is so good!)

I actually made this Zucchini recipe a couple of weeks ago, and am finally posting now as the weather is turning and the zucchini is waning. If you have any left, this is a nice way to use up a lot. It tastes delicious, and is texturally really different than you would expect. It's really dense and almost meaty - like vegetarian pepperoni (they are a bit salty too from the salt sweating). The recipe takes a bit of time...salting slices and dehydrating, but is somewhat novel - I wished I had dinner guests to share the dish with!

Post dehydrator zucchini - see how they are a little pepperoni like?!
I'm just going to send this recipe directly to his blog post because he includes lots of helpful tips. He gives an option for drying the zucchini in the hot summer air (he's in Northern California), but here in MN we are blessed with humidity, and that means air drying would definitely not be an option. You have to use a dehydrator here. I followed his directions and sliced my zucchini, then laid it out on trays with salt; I waited 30 minutes then patted the slices dry. I actually think you can easily just salt slices and put them in a colander for 30 minutes, swirl them around a bit, and pat dry. I've done this to "sweat" zucchini before and it works fine - using less space and salt. It also took closer to 4 hours in my dehydrator - though that may have been because I had a couple of trays of cherry tomatoes in there too.

The final cooking with mint, lemon, and chili pepper was delicious. Worth a summer day's experiment for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment