We are a collection of Minneapolis folks cooking, preserving, and harvesting local, seasonal foods. This blog-share is meant to inspire greater culinary genius, as well as continued local food invention. What are YOU concocting in that kitchen of yours?

6.26.2020

Coffee Pulled Pork

Less "pulled" and a bit more "chunks"
I had a large pork butt (7 pounds) that I made in the slow cooker the other day, and now I have lots of leftovers! I found this particular rub and spice blend tasty and easy, which I modified from this Paleo/Gluten Free Blog. I thought the pork was good as is, and also with the addition of some bbq sauce. It doesn't need much - I had some fancy bbq sauce in the fridge that I bought at the co-op a year ago, and I just gave a pour atop my re-heating meat. The bbq flavor was especially festive with homemade coleslaw.

Coffee Pulled Pork
2.5-3 lbs. boneless pork butt
1.5 T finely ground coffee (I used decaf!)
1 T chili powder 
2 teaspoons fine sea salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon mustard powder
2-3 cloves fresh garlic, sliced or minced
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes 
1. (I have never done this step that is often recommended for cooking pork butt, but my roast was so large this time, I wish I would have!) Slice off the thick slab of fat (known as the fat cap) along one side of the pork butt. Place the whole butt into the slow cooker insert.
2. Mix together all the spices and rub all over the meat, making sure to cover both ends and get into the nooks and crannies. You might think you don't need all of the rub but keep massaging it all over the meat until it's all used.
3. Set your slow cooker to high for 5 hours or low for 9.
4. You can shred the meat one of two ways. You can shred it directly in the slow cooker with two forks. But when you transfer it to a serving bowl or container, you probably won't need all of the sauce. Leave about half behind. Stir to blend the meat with the liquid, taste, and add more liquid if you think it needs it. If you want to serve directly from the slow cooker, leave as is. The liquid will help keep it moist. Or you can transfer the meat to a bowl, shred it with two forks, and stir in about half the liquid. Taste the meat and add more liquid if it's a bit too dry, no more than 2 tablespoons at a time.
Optional step: if you want crispy bits of meat, spread the shredded pork out onto a baking sheet. Broil for 5-8 minutes, or until some parts are crisp.
Serve is as, with Tequila Pineapple Barbecue Sauce, or sauce of your choice. 
Here it is slightly more pulled, with some bbq sauce mixed in

No comments:

Post a Comment