We are a collection of Minneapolis folks cooking, preserving, and harvesting local, seasonal foods. This blog-share is meant to inspire greater culinary genius, as well as continued local food invention. What are YOU concocting in that kitchen of yours?

8.28.2020

Sumac Tea

My recent days have been busy! And they have been hot, which means less cooking and more salads. I am preparing to go wild ricing for the first time soon, and have been busy making a push pole and knockers and assembling the appropriate materials. On my way home from Fleet Farm, I remembered a big sumac stand by the river, so I stopped to gather some. It is definitely later than optimal - you can see that some of the red has washed away in the rains of proceeding weeks. The sumac spice is actually the hair/fibers on the berries, which are what make the clumps so fire red. From what I have read, you want to look for the time when the sumac is bright red, before any big rains. It is usually later July to September during a time of high heat. (Note that there is a poison sumac variety but it has white berries, so you will not be confused.) To harvest, cut the berry cluster at the base - collect several clusters.


I am drying some of the berry clusters (above) in an attempt at making the spice, and I also made Sumac tea. It is delicious! Sumac is very high in vitamin C and used for all kinds of medicinal purposes by indigenous people for a long time. The tea is a nice lime flavor, earning it a nickname of "Indian lemonade" - especially if you add a bit of honey or maple syrup.

Place 3-4 clumps of sumac in a large jar (I used a 2 quart jar) and cover with cold water. Leave to sit for several hours to a couple of days. Some people suggest putting it out in the sun like sun tea, others say the counter is fine - I just left mine on the counter because it was later in the day when I began the process. Strain out the berries/clumps with a strainer or cheesecloth and drink. Yum!

I forgot to take a photo until after I already drank some. So the jar is partially empty - ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment