We are a collection of Minneapolis folks cooking, preserving, and harvesting local, seasonal foods. This blog-share is meant to inspire greater culinary genius, as well as continued local food invention. What are YOU concocting in that kitchen of yours?

9.27.2020

Chia seed porridge (keto)

I'm eating keto right now in the name of anti-inflammatory, low carb experimentation. I have eaten Whole30 and more strict paleo, but never keto, and it feels so different! Namely that I feel quite full and not at all snack-ish, and some days have so much energy that when I go for my daily walk I feel tempted to run?! Weird. Last week when I was up north I went for a hike on the superior hiking trail, and jaunted up and down the mountain, jumped in the very cold lake, and then bounded back up and down the hilly terrain again, all at a sprightly pace. I got back and thought, what the heck was that? Then it happened again the next day, and again today. I think it is ketosis aided by coconut oil.

This morning I ate this porridge, which is decidedly not as chewy as I might wish, but DID effectively do the energy thing. I prefer eggs and veggies for my brunch eating, but this was tasty and novel. And rich. No struggle to eat enough fat today! (I did eat more than half of it, so there is that.)

I followed a recipe I found online. I used pumpkin seeds instead of hemp seeds, and added some ground flax seed and salt. I also used more coconut milk than she does, and cream/water combo rather than almond milk. She lists all the nutritional info on her site.

Ingredients, serves 2 smaller bowls
  • 1 tbsp pumpkin seeds
  • 1/4 cup walnut or pecan halves, chopped
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
  • 2 tbsp whole chia seeds
  • 1/4 cup heavy cream plus 1/4 cup water (or 1/2 c almond milk)
  • 1/2 cup coconut milk
  • 1/4 cup sunbutter
  • 1 tbsp coconut oil
  • 1/4 - 1/2 tsp turmeric
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • pinch ground black pepper
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 1/4 cup ground flax seed (optional)
  • stevia or sweetener as you like (optional)

1. Place the pumpkin seeds, chopped nuts and flaked coconut into a hot pan and roast for 1-3 minutes or until fragrant. Toss a few times to prevent burning. When browned/fragrant, set aside.

2.  In a small saucepan, mix the coconut milk, cream and water and heat over a medium heat. Once hot (not boiling), take off the heat. Add the almond butter and coconut oil, stir well. Add chia seeds, turmeric, cinnamon, salt, black pepper and any sweetener. Mix until well combined and set aside for 5-10 minutes. 

3.  Add half of the roasted mix from the bowl and any ground flax seed. Stir well. Spoon into bowls and sprinkle remaining roasted mix on top. Serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment