We are a collection of Minneapolis folks cooking, preserving, and harvesting local, seasonal foods. This blog-share is meant to inspire greater culinary genius, as well as continued local food invention. What are YOU concocting in that kitchen of yours?

10.01.2020

Keto Savory Porridge with Dukkah, Eggs and Greens

I wanted to make a keto/paleo porridge that was more like kongee or grits - a creamy, savory sort of breakfast porridge to have with eggs and greens. It was so successful! Such that I will also use this for my liver on grits recipe that I keep wanting to make again. Yum. This is modified from a sweeter "fauxt-meal" recipe that I ended up liking better than the recent one I posted because it is less chia-pudding like and more toothsome. I happened to have homemade dukkah spice (an Egyptian roasted nut, sesame seed and spice mix that is ground up) that I used for this that was stellar, but you could also use ground up pumpkin seeds or ground sunflower seeds, or another nut, no problem. The latter would also give less flavor, allowing you to top this with seaweed and kimchi and get other flavor profiles. I include an easy dukkah recipe below.

  • 2 T dukkah spice (or ground up pumpkin/sunflower seeds or nuts)
  • 1 T chia seeds
  • 1 T ground flax seed
  • 1 tsp sunbutter
  • 1 tsp almond flour
  • 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1/2 c water
  •  2T butter

Directions: Add everything but butter to a small saucepan over medium heat. Simmer and stir frequently. After a few minutes and as porridge is thickening, add butter. Stir and turn off heat. Let sit several minutes, stirring occasionally. 

Serve with 6 minute eggs and greens, or whatever other savory toppings you like. My greens were just chopped up kale and onion, sauteed in coconut oil. I cooked them with a bit of water to soften things.

Dukkah spice - Typically this would include hazelnuts, or I've used pistachios, but you can use whatever you have on hand. I always have pumpkin seeds, and that is what I made most recently. This mix is good on just about anything: veggies, fish, salad, etc.

Ingredients

Toast nuts and seeds separately on a cast iron skillet until they are brown or starting to pop - each will roast for different lengths of time, hence doing them separately and not together. If using hazelnuts, after toasting, rub them with a kitchen towel to try to remove the outer skin as much as possible.

Put all ingredients in a spice grinder (I use a coffee grinder) and blend until the texture is coarse crumbs. You could also do this in a mortar and pestle if you have one. Store in an airtight jar in the fridge. Makes about 1 1/4 cups.

No comments:

Post a Comment