We are a collection of Minneapolis folks cooking, preserving, and harvesting local, seasonal foods. This blog-share is meant to inspire greater culinary genius, as well as continued local food invention. What are YOU concocting in that kitchen of yours?

12.27.2020

Hackberry milk (and more)

A friend tipped me off to hackberries earlier this fall, and once I had identified a hackberry tree, I began seeing them everywhere! They are all over Lake Hiawatha Park and the golf course, most easily identified by their warty bark, and of course the tiny berries. The only problem is that the branches tend to be high, and a step ladder, if not extension ladder, might be called for in order harvest the berries. 

Hackberries are very interesting - they are mostly seed, which is hard and crunchy and maybe a bit much for the teeth. They taste a bit like dates, or prunes, I think; sort of a spicy sweetness. I have been eating a few of them as a I pass by a tree, but it's a pretty firm crunch. The seeds are edible bits of protein and fat, and the berry is very thin. It means hackberries are a good source of energy with the seed AND fruit bit, especially because they do not dry up or freeze and are thus available throughout the winter. 

I'd been meaning to bring a ladder to the park for some weeks, but when I was out walking on Christmas, I came upon some trees that had a few reachable branches. That, and the recent blizzard knocked several little branches to the ground, so I could collect enough to do something with. They are tiny, and it took me close to half an hour to collect about a cup and a half of them, so this is not going to a be a winter staple, most likely. But!! They are so tasty and unusual and I'm quite into them. 

I ground the berries up in a mortar and pestle to break down the seeds (a high end vitamix type blender would also do the job) and had to really mash to crunch them all. The berries become a paste, most of which I used to make hackberry "milk," though I saved a little out to make a little candy hackberry ball. 

The milk was delicious (especially to drink warm), and so was the by-product remains, which I mixed with a bit of cream to make something like porridge. Crunchy, grapenut-like porridge. Yum, it was really good, and I love when you can make multiple things out of the same foraged item! You can drink the "milk" plain, or I used mine on some wild rice porridge (along with butter and some nuts). I also used some to make hot chocolate.


Hackberry milk

  • 1 c hackberries
  • 2 c water

Crush hackberries in a mortar and pestle until the seeds are all broken up and they form a paste. Combine the paste with 2 c water, and bring to a simmer in a small saucepan (not a boil, barely let the bubbles form). Stir. Turn the heat to low and just barely simmer for 20 minutes (I set mine on the low burning woodstove, which was perfect). Strain mixture through cheesecloth and consume!

*You could squeeze the mixture to capture all of the liquid and disgard the pulp, or reserve the paste with some liquid intact, mix with cream, and eat like porridge. Drink as a beverage, or use like you would coconut milk in cooking.

"Milk" will last for a week in the fridge, and is mildly sweet. Makes about 1 1/2 c.

No comments:

Post a Comment