We are a collection of Minneapolis folks cooking, preserving, and harvesting local, seasonal foods. This blog-share is meant to inspire greater culinary genius, as well as continued local food invention. What are YOU concocting in that kitchen of yours?

7.14.2021

Dried Sour Cherries (and cherry oxymel)

I got A LOT of sour cherries this year thanks to my generous neighbor, and because I had some big plans: cherry mead, cherry oxymel and dried cherries, cherry bounce, and I made one cherry crisp. The mead did not work, or rather, I jettisoned it because it smelled a little off (I was making in conjunction with my first ever mead, so in retrospect I wonder if it would have been better to start with sugar, but alas). After I composted it, I wondered if it was okay and it was just the lack of sugar that tasted bad. I don't know, but it was definitely different than my previous two fruit wines (made with sugar). I ordered a few new wine implements to check the sugar/alcohol and acid levels, so they will offer better guidance as I continue to make fruit wines.

I was most curious about making dried sour cherries to replace store bought craisins. I experimented with soaking the cherries in a few different ratios of honey/apple cider vinegar to infuse some sweetness, and I dried some straight up. I enjoyed the experimentation, and in each case got cherry syrup, oxymel or juice along with the cherries - win/win! My favorite ratio was the middle sweetness one, though all had their merits. I hadn't realized the difference it would make to use more/less vinegar/honey overall, and the one I used the least of that started to ferment like my wine. It was the largest vessel, and now I am left with an effervescent cherry juice that is fizzy to drink. Yum! It's like cherry juice with kombucha - or really, sour cherry shrub. (It is good plain, and I did try some mixed with gin, which was also delicious, see photo at right of what remains in the half gallon jar!)

Here were my trials that I set out for 2 weeks, except the last one which was just 1 week:

  1. Half gallon jar filled with cherries plus 1 c honey and 2 c apple cider vinegar (my favorite one that is also an oxymel that I will use for salad dressing, or I could cook it down for a sweet/sour syrup);
  2. Quart jar with 2/3 c honey plus 3 T cider vinegar (sweetest version where the cherries tasted distinctly of honey and the resulting juice was more of a cherry syrup, this was my least favorite);
  3. Gallon jar filled with as many cherries as I could stuff in with 1 1/2 c honey and 3/4 cup of apple cider vinegar (least sweet and least honey/vinegar to stabilize the cherry juice. It was most active/fermenting and I stopped the process after a week because I feared the fermentation could eat up all the sweet. I have the most of these and they are good, but #1 is better, even though this is the batch that resulted in the very delicious shrub).
*Note if you make any of these, you need to release some pressure from tight fitting jar lids, or to have an air release because of the apple cider vinegar. I did use some gadgets to try to keep the cherries submerged, but the cherries kept popping up. No mold emerged, so I think there was enough sweetness to prevent that.

I think the most magic combo might actually be something I did not do: 1 quart of cherries with 1/2 c honey and 1/2 c cider vinegar. That is less vinegar than version #1, which I don't think is needed with all of the cherry juice, so the oxymel might end up a little more shrub-like (sweeter, less vinegary). Next year!

To dehydrate:

  • I set the dehydrator for fruit at 135 degrees. All of my cherries were pitted, though varied in size. I didn't have the time/capacity to sort through and sift out cherries as they finished, but most of the cherries seemed done after about 20 hours. 
  • Some cherries got very dry and hard, and some stayed plump, but most were in the middle. The straight up cherries (with no honey or vinegar) were the most tart, and edible to my palate, but no sweetness. I have snacked on them with some nuts and a piece of dark chocolate. :) 
  • The plump cherries seem less shelf stable to me, so I put them in the freezer, but they are delicious. If I wasn't going for shelf stable things, I would just make a bunch only midway dried because they are amazing: a bit plump and chewy, sweet with a tiny bit of tang.

No comments:

Post a Comment