We are a collection of Minneapolis folks cooking, preserving, and harvesting local, seasonal foods. This blog-share is meant to inspire greater culinary genius, as well as continued local food invention. What are YOU concocting in that kitchen of yours?

12.22.2010

Wild Rice Salad

Lately wild rice and I are having a torrential love affair...I already had wild rice with milk and maple syrup for breakfast. Which can be beat only by wild rice porridge (grind the rice in a coffee grinder and cook it 1:4 parts water) - also with milk and maple syrup. So here we are: a family recipe that my mom and her sisters make a lot. Winter salad is singing to me tonight - particularly since I've been eating lots of cheese, meat, and cream.

Incidentally, since I am bringing you along on the wild rice affair, here is a great article by Winona LaDuke about ricing in Minnesota and the industrialization of "wild" rice (3 pages...it just looks longer). Support the White Earth Land Recovery Project - their rice is at the co-op.

This is not the most precise recipe. I'll put in my estimated amounts, but it is very flexible.
2+ cups wild rice
2-3 carrots, diced small
2-3 celery stalks, diced small
1/2 c+ mixed raw, unsalted nuts (cashews, almonds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, etc)
1 c. dried fruit (craisins, raisins, currents, diced apricots...)
2 scallions, chopped
1/2 c. frozen peas (maybe more)
handfuls of chopped parsley
juice of 1-2 lemons
salt
olive oil drizzle

Cook the rice according to the instructions, then mix all ingredients together.

1 comment: