We are a collection of Minneapolis folks cooking, preserving, and harvesting local, seasonal foods. This blog-share is meant to inspire greater culinary genius, as well as continued local food invention. What are YOU concocting in that kitchen of yours?

9.17.2011

Fermented green tomatoes



My tomatoes had a rough year. From what I hear, they weren't alone. The first fruits began to rot on the vine before they turned red. Bottom rot, a pocket of water that accumulates on the bottom of the fruit, is (according to Wikipedia) a possible consequence of erratic watering behavior. My beginning-of-the-season over-eagerness followed by a week and a half vacation might have had something to do with this.
I didn't want to throw them away, so I decided to experiment with fermentation. The tomatoes in my first jar ended up tasting a lot like green olives. I liked them so much I started wondering whether I should let the rest of my tomatoes turn red. Lucky for me, the threat of early frost came along just in time, and I decided to just call it on the tomato plants rather than tucking them into layers of blankets every other night.
This more recent batch was a bit crunchier and greener, so I'm excited to see if/how the flavor changes.

Here are some guidelines:
Put on a good record, probably something good and twangy
Pack your sliced green tomatoes into a clean jar
Add some other flavorful stuff like onions or garlic or peppers
Add some spices and keep them whole (I like mustard seeds and black peppercorns)
Add 2 T whey per pint
Add 1/2 T salt per pint (or closer to 1 T if you're not using whey)

Top off the jar with filtered water, screw on the lid (not too tight) and let it sit (covered) on your counter for awhile. In the heat of summer, I only waited a few days, but with the colder weather you'll probably want to wait a bit longer. Test the tomatoes anytime to check if they're tasty enough for you. When they are, put them in the fridge and keep for as long as you like (ok, probably not more than a year).

1 comment:

  1. ooh! i am excited about these. AND i think j and i are gonna make fried green tomatoes today...which i've never had (and will post about if they are good, but i forgot my camera). i especially am loving the record addition to your posts.

    ReplyDelete