We are a collection of Minneapolis folks cooking, preserving, and harvesting local, seasonal foods. This blog-share is meant to inspire greater culinary genius, as well as continued local food invention. What are YOU concocting in that kitchen of yours?

5.26.2012

Cabbage Hash

I really love cabbage. For years I treated it as sort of a condiment type of vegetable...put a little on my burrito, use it as saurkraut, sprinkle a bit on a salad. I recently started to explore it in slaw, and also use it as the wrapper for cabbage rolls or grain free fajitas. Somewhere in there I converted to thinking of cabbage as a staple in my fridge. It also made a very prominent appearance in the Anti-Cancer book I read last month, which listed cruciferous veggies, particularly cabbage, at the top in terms of most beneficial to fight cancer (along with onions).

My latest fave way of eating cabbage is to make a big breakfast hash, which I probably have 3 times a week. I especially love it with fat green onions from the garden. I have never measured this before, so the amounts listed below are guidelines - and this is my favorite combo of veggies. It is just as good without the kale, or with some cherry tomatoes instead of orange peppers, or with onions and cabbage only. This way is prettiest though.

Cabbage Hash
2 slices bacon, chopped up
1/2 small onion, chopped
1 c. red cabbage, sliced thin
3 kale leaves, de-stemmed and chopped
1/4 orange pepper, chopped
1+ tsp. turmeric
fresh chives (optional)
Squeeze of lemon (optional)
salt

1) Heat a cast iron pan - when it is hot, add bacon and onion to cook until bacon starts to render and onions begin to get translucent (3-5 minutes).
Stolen pic to show what it sort of looks like.
2) Add cabbage and stir - let cook another 5 minutes.
3) Add kale and orange pepper - stir occasionally, letting the veggies caramelize a little as they sit.
4) Stir in turmeric, chives, a little salt, and the lemon squeeze
5) Serve with 2 fried eggs on top (which you could also cook right on top of the hash if you want to put the whole thing in the oven...I just am not so patient!)


No comments:

Post a Comment