We are a collection of Minneapolis folks cooking, preserving, and harvesting local, seasonal foods. This blog-share is meant to inspire greater culinary genius, as well as continued local food invention. What are YOU concocting in that kitchen of yours?

10.24.2012

Mish Mash and Paleo Meatloaf

Well, I seem to not be posting my meals lately, though I am eating lots of delicious recipes from last year, including coconut kale, bohemian brussels sprouts, lots of roasted delicata squash from my garden, and various venison steaks.

I did make this crock pot meatloaf last week...mostly because I had one of those weeks where I was not home long enough to cook but needed many meals, and why not let it all cook while I am away?! I love crock pots. It tasted great - it looked slightly strange because you get some excess liquid - but no problem.

The recipe I followed/modified is here from a blog called PaleoPot. All of the recipes are for a crock pot - so clever! And I thought the tomato topping was one of my fave paleo ketchup sort of substitutes. It was super easy and really good.

Meatloaf:
2 pounds of lean ground meat
2 eggs, beaten.
4 ounces of bacon, crisped and chopped.
1/2 of a med white onion, small dice.
2 stacks of celery, sliced thinly or chopped
1/2 small green pepper, small dice
2 tsp of dried oregano
1 tsp of black pepper
1 tsp of thyme
2 tsp of smoked paprika
1 tsp salt

Sauce:
1 small can of tomato paste (can also use 1/4 cup of tomato sauce)
2 to 3 tbsp of dijon mustard
2 tsp of smoked paprika
1 tsp of apple cider vinegar
salt to taste

1. Chop up your bacon and cook until brown and crispy.
2. In a large bowl combine your ground meat, beaten eggs, bacon, veggies and seasonings. Mix everything together by hand, forming a loaf. Place your loaf in your slow cooker and press it down so that the top is flat and you have about of inch of space between the loaf and the sides of the slow cooker. (this is where all that liquid fills in later.)
3. Mix your tomato sauce ingredients together and spoon them over the loaf. Use a spoon or a knife to frost the loaf’s top as evenly as possible. (I did this later after the loaf was done because I ran out of time in the morning - still was great!)
4. Cook on low for 4 to 6 hours.

*This also reheats super well and was good cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment