We are a collection of Minneapolis folks cooking, preserving, and harvesting local, seasonal foods. This blog-share is meant to inspire greater culinary genius, as well as continued local food invention. What are YOU concocting in that kitchen of yours?

10.28.2012

Shrimp and Pesto Zucchini Pasta

I am obsessed with zucchini noodles.  My little julienne peeler is the best kitchen gadget I have purchased this year.  Besides a giant crock pot I guess:) I am constantly dreaming up ways to use my peeler to make fun vegetable dishes.  Ever since basil harvesting time I have been making an easy pesto sauce and adding it to my veggie noodles.  If you make a batch of pesto ahead of time and either freeze it or store it in the refrigerator, this is a fast and easy dinner option.  Today I decided to add a few shrimp to the dish, but I have used chicken before, which was also good.

I think the green color of the noodles and the pesto really compliment each other.  The little pink shrimp are a yummy and visually appealing addition to the dish.  After all, we eat with ours eyes first.

Pesto Ingredients
fresh basil leaves
pine nuts
olive oil
sea salt

Honestly,  I eyeball the ingredients. Add however much you like.  I like to roast the pine nuts on the stovetop for a few minutes to get their oils going and bring out the flavor.  Add the basil, pine nuts, and salt to the food processor.  Slowly drizzle in the olive oil as it is mixing.  I use Megan's earlier advice about picking an olive oil.  Try not to use extra virgin olive oil, it has a strong flavor that over powers the rest of the ingredients.  I use light olive oil instead.

Pasta Time!

Thaw the shrimp.  Cook them over medium heat in a little olive oil until tender.  While the shrimp are cooking, cut your zucchini noodles.  Once the shrimp are cooked remove them from the pan and add the noodles to the sauté pan with some olive oil.  Then, add a couple tablespoons of the pesto.  Cook a couple minutes until the noodles start to get tender.  Add the shrimp back in for the last minute of cooking time.


Bon Appétit!

2 comments:

  1. ooh this looks so tasty! I somehow never made pesto with my garden basil this year and let the frost and lack of water get to it. i have been regretting it all fall. alas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been obsessed with pesto since it became plentiful in late summer. I think it is finally drawing to a close for the year. I have now have moved on to carrot latkes- will post very soon:)

    ReplyDelete