We are a collection of Minneapolis folks cooking, preserving, and harvesting local, seasonal foods. This blog-share is meant to inspire greater culinary genius, as well as continued local food invention. What are YOU concocting in that kitchen of yours?

6.26.2013

Pork Belly Salad

Camp "kitchen"
I got back into town last weekend to a tree strewn city! Though I have a big tree limb just hanging across my power lines, I was relieved to find my power up and running so that freezer content moving did not need to co-occur with unpacking, hanging and drying tent and tarps, etc. There was  lots of fog on the drive back down from up north, and heavy fog = prime conditions for roadkill deer. So the return also included a small buck nestled in with the Duluth packs.

My boundary waters trip included many fish meals (hurray!) - primarily pike - mostly fried, but also an amazing chowder that I hope to recreate at home with fresh ingredients. Until then, I am currently subsisting on the bounty of the garden: Arugula, lettuce, radishes, and lamb's quarters. Yum! The arugula makes me swoon at every meal, it is so delicious.

My cousin graduated from South High earlier this month, and he celebrated with a graduation party on Sunday. The food was amazing, and one particular treat I want to recreate was prosciutto wrapped arugula bundles. The arugula was drizzled with olive oil and fresh parmesan reggiano grated over the top. It was totally delicious and stunning, though I neglected to take a photo before stuffing it in my mouth. The accompanying photo here is similar, though there is an apple slice in with the arugula as well (which sounds tasty too). The bundles I had were a bit larger, with very thin slices of prosciutto wrapped around them. It showcased the arugula perfectly, and made for such a delightful appetizer!

I came home from the party with a bag of pork bones that I am currently cooking in the slow cooker on the porch to make broth, and some pork belly that the pork roast was wrapped in. Score! I discovered the pork belly this morning and proceeded to make one of the more delicious salads of my week with it. It's similar to a cobb salad without chicken, and with this pork it tasted incredible. Thank you to my aunt Mary who was perhaps overwhelmed with pork bones and leftovers to send me home with such bounty!

Pork belly salad:
1-2 c. fresh greens (arugula, kale thinnings, and lettuce)
3 small radishes, chopped
1 hard boiled egg, chopped
1/2 avocado
3-6 cherry tomatoes, halved
sliced pork belly

Dressing: equal parts olive oil and balsamic, mixed with a teaspoon of mustard and a bit of salt.

No comments:

Post a Comment