We are a collection of Minneapolis folks cooking, preserving, and harvesting local, seasonal foods. This blog-share is meant to inspire greater culinary genius, as well as continued local food invention. What are YOU concocting in that kitchen of yours?

7.14.2013

Rhubarb Lemonade (sugar-free)

I had meant to post this recipe much earlier in the summer during rhubarb season.  But, as usual, the summer has been flying by and I am just getting to it.  My rhubarb plant, as you can see, was huge this year.  So, I had been on the hunt for a recipe to use all of this wonderful rhubarb, one without sugar.  I stumbled upon a post that mentioned rhubarb lemonade and it sounded like a great idea.  This is the concoction I came up with, which is basically rhubarb and lemon juice.



I love picking things from the garden and immediately using them in a recipe.  It is the joy of my summer.  Here is a bunch of rhubarb I pulled just last week.  I figured that since we got such a late start with the growing season this year it would still be good, even on July 10th.
Rhubarb Puree Ingredients:
4-6 cups Rhubarb- chopped
juice from 3-4 lemons
1/4-1/2 cup water


In a large pot combine rhubarb and water.  Cook on medium heat, stirring occasionally, until it softens.  Add the lemon juice and cook for a few more minutes.  Let it cool before pureeing with a hand blender.  Put in jars to cool in the fridge over night or longer.  Now you have a wonderful rhubarb puree.  I use the puree to make a cool ice drink in the Vitamix, or high powered blender.  Combine a few spoonfuls of the puree with ice, a little water and about 6 drops of Stevia.  Process until smooth.  I like to serve this with fresh strawberries to add an extra sweetness.




Enjoy a cool summer treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment