We are a collection of Minneapolis folks cooking, preserving, and harvesting local, seasonal foods. This blog-share is meant to inspire greater culinary genius, as well as continued local food invention. What are YOU concocting in that kitchen of yours?

7.17.2013

Snap Peas!

Well, the time of peas will soon be over, but I have enjoyed them SO much! My favorite has been the pea puree, and last weekend I had a chilled pea soup that was amazing. I will try making it sometime, but it included English peas, mint, lavender, and vegetable broth. Omg - it was like a smoothie in a bowl, but savory too. Yum. The snap peas have also been delicious - I've been tossing them in salads and eating them straight from the garden. I tried this slaw recipe from Bon Appetit for Snap Pea and Cabbage Slaw this week, and it turned out nice - crisp and sweet.

Snap Pea and Cabbage Slaw
My favorite way to enjoy snap peas though, at least of late, is to eat them for breakfast with eggs. The light saute of the peas brings out extra flavor, and with some soft scrambled eggs it tastes like sweet and savory summer (whatever summer tastes like, I am calling it peas).
Northside Homestead Dakota Fire Pit!


My Charming Companion has been experimenting with some outdoor cooking set-ups to better bridge living in the bwca to living in the city. This one was an underground system called a Dakota Fire Pit - though since he has built a rocket stove that I think is the better design. It is higher up so it's easier to use, and is super efficient because it gets so hot in the brick tower that even the smoke burns, so you use barely any fuel. Fuel in this case was sticks that blew down in the yard, and some kindling that had been in the shed for about 10 years.




Dakota Fire Pit design

Snap Pea Scramble
Bunch of snap peas, strings removed
Onions
Eggs
Ghee

I used the white onion part from the garden green onions. The green part is too tough now, but the white part is really nice. Chop onions small and saute in ghee for a few minutes on medium heat. As they start to brown, add chopped snap peas and saute another 2 minutes. Add eggs (I like to scramble mine right in the pan) and turn heat down just a hair. Cook just until eggs are done, stirring to push the cooked egg to the side.


I have been eating these eggs all week - here I had them with lamb's quarters, but they are also great with sauteed green beans (they are just coming into full bounty).

No comments:

Post a Comment