We are a collection of Minneapolis folks cooking, preserving, and harvesting local, seasonal foods. This blog-share is meant to inspire greater culinary genius, as well as continued local food invention. What are YOU concocting in that kitchen of yours?

1.15.2014

Paleo Hot Chocolate

Well, I keep thinking that I am going to do a Whole30 again any day now, but I don't seem ready yet. I'm not quite in the holiday feasting mode, but I'm still consuming a fair share of chocolate. Yum! Including some hot chocolate that I have refined to a fine art to make the most stellar cup.

I also want to share my song of the week here (occasionally I get obsessed with a song and listen to it on repeat): O Superman by Laurie Anderson. You can play the video while you consider making a cup of hot chocolate. I don't know why I love this song so much, but I really do. It makes me want to find a group of other people so that we can do our own acapella version of it.

My friend and fellow blogger Jane first inspired the paleo hot chocolate - she made me a delicious cup that helped me see the wonder of coconut milk hot cocoa (previously I was sort of dismayed to not use any dairy cream in there). My recipe includes a honey/stevia combo - but you could easily sub one or the other. I like this best with pretty equal ratios of coconut milk to water but you can use whatever ratio you like.

Paleo Hot Chocolate (1 serving)
4 oz coconut milk
5 oz water
pinch of good quality salt
1 tsp honey
4 drops stevia
1/8 tsp cinnamon
2 heaping tsp cocoa powder (sugar free)
1/8 tsp vanilla
ground nutmeg

1. Heat coconut milk and water in a small saucepan over medium heat. As it is heating, add the honey, stevia, salt, and cinnamon.
2. Once the liquid is steaming (so that you can see the steam rising up), whisk/stir in the cocoa powder. Doing it at this stage (when the milk is steaming) helps the cocoa powder to dissolve and mix thoroughly so you don't get clumps.
3. Continue stirring until hot chocolate just barely starts to simmer. Add vanilla extract and sprinkle nutmeg (the freshly ground stuff is the best) on top. Pour in a mug and sip decadently.

4 comments:

  1. Yay! I've been waiting for this one and was just craving a mug tonight! Soooo delicious. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Al! I've continued the hot chocolate delight. Love you, too. xoxo

      Delete
  2. So happy to share the coconut cocoa goodness- happy winter nights!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy to share the coconut cocoa goodness- happy winter nights!

    ReplyDelete