We are a collection of Minneapolis folks cooking, preserving, and harvesting local, seasonal foods. This blog-share is meant to inspire greater culinary genius, as well as continued local food invention. What are YOU concocting in that kitchen of yours?

1.27.2020

Cauliflower pizza crust (paleo)

I experimented with a cauliflower pizza crust, and found it really tasty. I have not made homemade pizza in many years, so it was just fun to try and make my own toppings. Yum. Most cauliflower pizza crust recipes seem to include cheese, which I don't eat much of, so I looked for a dairy-free recipe.

Up sides of this cauliflower crust: very little nut flour, mostly cauliflower, very subtle cauliflower taste.
Down sides: I could not pick up a full slice that would hold together (I could pick up a partial piece and it had enough structural integrity about it); pulsing raw cauliflower in the food processor is fussy and messy! Do-able. But fussy.

Cauliflower Pizza Crust
Post first baking

1 head cauliflower, stalk removed
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 cup almond or tapioca flour
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp dried basil
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

1. Preheat your oven to 400 F.
2. Place the cauliflower in a food processor and pulse until finely shredded (I did in 2 batches).
3. Steam the shredded cauliflower for 3 to 4 minutes. Drain well, let cool, and strain any excess water using a towel. (Quite a lot of water comes out!)
4. In a bowl, combine the cauliflower, eggs, oregano, dried basil, garlic powder, almond flour, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Mix everything thoroughly.
5. Transfer to a pizza pan or baking sheet and shape into a pizza crust shape. (You are just pressing it into a big circle. It's very strange! Next time I will maybe try putting parchment paper down first to assist in transfer of pizza to the butcher block.)
6. Bake in the preheated oven for 15 to 18 minutes.
7. Spread pizza sauce/toppings on top of the crust. Bake for another 8 to 10 minutes, or until toppings are nicely cooked.

I made my pizza with half pesto, half tomato paste sauce. Then I covered the whole thing with my mild Italian sausage, red onions, red peppers, mushrooms, and some diced tomatoes and shredded asiago. And a little magic salt. So tasty!!

No comments:

Post a Comment