We are a collection of Minneapolis folks cooking, preserving, and harvesting local, seasonal foods. This blog-share is meant to inspire greater culinary genius, as well as continued local food invention. What are YOU concocting in that kitchen of yours?

1.15.2020

Grain-free blueberry muffins

My aunt gave me this recipe some years ago, and I pull the photo copy out every so often when I want a muffin. Today I got home from yoga class and I wanted one with my coffee while the snow was falling!

The recipe was originally to make 1 large (enough for 2) muffin in a mug in the microwave. Apparently that is a thing?! This recipe would be VERY fast if you do that - 5 minutes tops. I don't have a microwave, so I just make 2 muffins in the oven, or I double the recipe and make 4 to have for a few days.

I always make these with either banana or squash/pumpkin puree, 1/4 t stevia and frozen blueberries and a few walnuts. It is not particularly sweet that way, so add more sweetener if you want a sweet tasting muffin. You can use whatever dried or frozen fruit that you want, and skip the nuts. I've also used a whole banana, or a half, and been fairly relaxed about the coconut oil measurement and it always turns out tasty.

Muffins (makes 1 mug muffin, or 2 regular muffins)
2 T melted coconut oil
1/2 or whole ripe banana (or applesauce or squash puree)
1/4 c ground flax seeds
2 T chia seeds
1 egg
1 t cinnamon
1 t baking powder
1/4+ tsp stevia, or a glug of maple syrup, etc
dried or frozen fruit (raisins, cherries, blueberries, ginger, etc)
nuts (pecans or walnuts)
opt: 1 T shredded coconut

1) Mash banana in a bowl, and mix in melted coconut oil, flax and chia. It will firm up a bit as the coconut oil cools and the flax bulks up the liquid.
2) Add egg, cinnamon, baking powder, any sweetener, fruit and nuts. Stir well. *If it is too soupy, add shredded coconut.
3) Pour batter into mug, if microwaving, or into 2 ramekins or muffin cups if baking.
Bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes, or microwave for 2 1/2 to 3 minutes. Done when the muffin is firm.

When done flip over onto a plate. They always come out easily from a ramekin - I have not tried it in a muffin tin!

No comments:

Post a Comment