We are a collection of Minneapolis folks cooking, preserving, and harvesting local, seasonal foods. This blog-share is meant to inspire greater culinary genius, as well as continued local food invention. What are YOU concocting in that kitchen of yours?

4.27.2020

Egg Roll Bowl with Dandelion Greens

It is Ramadan and I am fasting, which means I pretty much just make one bigger meal at sundown, called Iftar. It is funny that the recipe I am posting at Ramadan is a pork recipe, something no Muslim would be eating! (This would be good with beef too.) I was especially happy to toss in a bunch of dandelion greens and some green onions from the garden. I wish I had collected more greens because the subtle bitterness was really nice in here - a good match to the sweetness of the green onions and sauteed cabbage/carrots. I'll have to pick some dandelion greens to eat as a salad to do them proper justice.

I stumbled across the notion of egg rolls sans wrapper sometime back - apparently it is a keto and paleo super recipe, which I wasn't necessarily going for, but I do like to go high veggie content. Really it is a very easy stir-fry that is slightly bland but is reminiscent of egg rolls, which I enjoyed. Also I was working pretty late, so an easy meal prep was handy. I liked it best with the inclusion of fancy hot sauce.

Egg Roll Bowl
1 lb ground pork (or beef)
2 T sesame oil/coconut oil
1 small onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1" ginger, grated
half medium green cabbage, sliced thinly/shredded
1 small carrot, grated/julienned
1 small jalapeno, minced
3 tsp apple cider vinegar
3 T tamari
1 T dijon mustard
salt/pepper
(opt) dandelion greens - as many as you want
2 green onions, chopped for garnish

1. Cook pork in a medium skillet over medium heat. Break up pices with a spoon as it cooks. When done, set aside to add to veggies.
2. While it is cooking, heat oil in a large cast iron pan on medium heat. Add onions, garlic, and ginger and saute until onions soften, about 5 minutes.
3. Add cabbage, carrots, vinegar, tamari, mustard. Cook and stir for 5-10 more minutes until cabbage and carrots soften. Add dandelion greens, cooked pork, and salt and pepper to taste.
4. Serve with green onions and your favorite hot sauce.


No comments:

Post a Comment