We are a collection of Minneapolis folks cooking, preserving, and harvesting local, seasonal foods. This blog-share is meant to inspire greater culinary genius, as well as continued local food invention. What are YOU concocting in that kitchen of yours?

5.26.2020

Dandelion greens, fennel & pear salad

This is my latest favorite salad - the combo of the bitter dandelion greens with the crisp fennel and sweet pear is really perfect. I had some parsley and radish thinnings, so I threw those in too, though you don't need them. I had this salad with my leftovers from Eid dinner (a cheeseburger, plus potatoes with spring onions and asparagus) and a cocktail called the "suffering bastard" which I'd seen during Ramadan and wanted to try. It is gin, bourbon, lime juice, bitters, and ginger brew, all of which I had in the pantry, plus a mint sprig from the garden. I added a splash of sparkling water because I found it a little sweet, and that was just perfect on the humid evening.

Suffering Bastard - weird drink name
I didn't measure these quantities, but here is my best ratio guess for a salad for 2.

Salad - combine the following in a bowl:
2-3 cups dandelion greens (I go for small-medium sized leaves), cleaned
1/2 of a large fennel bulb, sliced thinly
several fennel fronds, chopped
1 pear, julienned
handful of parsley or other garden thinnings
handful of pecans (I did not toast mine, but you could and that would be extra good!)

Dressing:
Mix equal parts lemon juice (or apple cider vinegar) and olive oil with a squirt of mustard and pinch of salt. Toss with salad to coat.


No comments:

Post a Comment