We are a collection of Minneapolis folks cooking, preserving, and harvesting local, seasonal foods. This blog-share is meant to inspire greater culinary genius, as well as continued local food invention. What are YOU concocting in that kitchen of yours?

5.03.2020

Roasted Potatoes, Asparagus, and Tarragon

Yesterday's garden harvest included the first 3 spears of Asparagus (I have a fledgling patch that I am in the process of bolstering), a trio of green onions, some dandelion greens for a salad, and fresh tarragon. I actually pulled a lot more dandelions while prepping my community garden plot, but that was mid-day and they didn't make it in my home-bound bucket. I ended up walking home from my garden plot with my rather large metal trash can atop my head (carrying said bucket), because really that is the best way to carry such a vessel. It was a bit awkward and I had to use my arms to keep it up there, but, I mention it because it was a delight from the day, ferrying a large thing the 8 blocks between here and there in such a manner!


At least an hour of my fasting days involves me thinking about what I want to eat for Iftar, so after harvesting the asparagus, I set to consider how to eat them. Maybe wait until Suhur, the pre-dawn Ramadan meal, and have them with eggs? I thought that was the plan until I spied how much tarragon came up, overnight it seems, and decided I wanted potatoes, tarragon, and the asparagus to eat with some steak. I love tarragon. I planted it last year, and it proliferated in great abundance, so I started putting it in everything: roasted carrots, salads, potatoes, chicken, eggs. It reminds me of my teenage years working at Hotel Sofitel where their house salad dressing was a creamy tarragon, and they made a bernaise sauce to go with the pommes frittes. Which, come to think of it, would be really delicious (I just looked it up, bearnaise is a hollandaise-like sauce with tarragon and white wine and vinegar, withe butter and egg). Anyway, the tarragon came back up this year, before the mint, even!


This dish was simple. The tarragon crisps up in the roasting pan with the green onions, the potatoes are crunchy and creamy, and the first asparagus - well i can't wait for more. I am not including amounts here, use whatever you have.

Roasted Potatoes, Asparagus, and Tarragon
potatoes (red or gold are nice), diced
asparagus spears, chopped
green onions, chopped - separate green and white parts
fresh tarragon leaves - as many as you have!
salt & pepper
olive oil

Heat oven to 450 degrees. Start with the potatoes, doused with olive oil in a baking pan, with enough room to all be in one layer. Roast for 12ish minutes. Pull them out, add the asparagus and white parts of the onion, and toss and turn everything so the potatoes land on a new side to brown and the veggies get coated in the olive oil. Roast for another 8-10 minutes, add the tarragon and green onions, and repeat the toss/turn. Roast for a final 8-10 minutes. Salt everything, and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment