We are a collection of Minneapolis folks cooking, preserving, and harvesting local, seasonal foods. This blog-share is meant to inspire greater culinary genius, as well as continued local food invention. What are YOU concocting in that kitchen of yours?

7.31.2020

Beets with beet greens & soft eggs

I planted my beets a little earlier than usual this year, and they are so lush! It was a good move. I am going through and eating a few of them to thin things out as we progress through the summer, since they are a good veggie that will keep well into the fall. Last fall I remember walking home from my garden with an overflowing basket of beets and their greenery, and an older couple stopped me to ask about them. They told me beet greens were their favorite greens and they go to the farmers market just to buy them as they are hard to come by elswhere. I used to not like beet greens as much as kale or collards, but then I started to steam them briefly before loading them with butter. They become so soft and luscious, it is pretty much the only way I eat them now.


I made a 1 person serving, so adapt this as necessary!

2-3 small/med beets with greens
2 tsp Butter
2 tsp Dijon mustard (I used my homemade stuff)
salt/pepper
fresh dill sprigs
2 eggs

1. Chop beet and beet stems into 1" pieces; chop greens. Boil salted water in a small saucepan and add beets and stems. Cover and simmer for 5-6 minutes, then add greens and simmer another couple of minutes. Drain water, and add butter, mustard, salt and pepper; toss to coat.
2. While beets are simmering, make a 6 minute egg: bring enough water to cover eggs to boil in a small saucepan. Once boiling, carefully add eggs (I use a spoon so they don't crack) and cover pot. Set timer for 6 minutes. When done, remove eggs and cover with cold water to stop the cooking.
3. Plate beets and greens, top with eggs, and sprinkle dill over the top. Eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment