We are a collection of Minneapolis folks cooking, preserving, and harvesting local, seasonal foods. This blog-share is meant to inspire greater culinary genius, as well as continued local food invention. What are YOU concocting in that kitchen of yours?

7.20.2020

Kohlrabi and Apple salad

I grew my first kohlrabi! Not all of my seeds became plants because some bug was eating all the cruciferous seedlings, but a good half dozen pulled through. I love growing kohlrabi - you can also eat the greens, which makes this vegetable a twofer! I so far make the greens Ethiopian-style with onions, garlic and maybe ginger, with butter or spiced ghee, water, and a longer cook time.

I harvested this first kohlrabi thinking I might just eat it raw with some toasted spice and salt, but then saw this Bon Appetit recipe and decided to get a little fancy. The fancy is maybe a result of talking food all weekend with my friend, and her going into detail about a $1200 dinner (for 3) at a fancy Persian restaurant in New York that sounded exquisite. Especially because somebody else was paying! This lead to dreaming of post pandemic trips. If there ever is a post-pandemic time, which, well, is hard to say.

So, until then, fancy food can be attempted at home. This shaved kohlrabi and apple salad was really nice. I am listing the original recipe below, though I substituted almonds for hazelnuts, and aged cheddar for Parmesan because it is what I had. (Cheddar wasn't bad, but Parmesan would be best!) Do be sure to peel your kohlrabi to get the tough outer layer. Inside is a soft, crisp, very pale interior that matches the apples, which just have that sliver of red b/c I didn't peel mine. *Also, it turns out my 1970s mandoline is on it's last days, at least on the thin slicer setting, so I used a vegetable peeler and that worked fine. It was just a bit more tedious.


Kohlrabi and Apple Salad
½ cup blanched hazelnuts (or almonds)
2 medium kohlrabi (about 2 lb. total), peeled, thinly sliced on a mandoline
1 tart apple (Pink Lady or Crispin), peeled/cored, thinly sliced on a mandoline
½ teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar or white balsamic vinegar
Kosher salt
½ cup torn fresh mint leaves, plus more for serving
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
2 oz. Pecorino or Parmesan, shaved (about ¼ cup) 

1. Preheat oven to 350°. Toast hazelnuts on a rimmed baking sheet, tossing occasionally, until golden brown, 10–12 minutes. Let cool, then coarsely chop. *I did this all on the stove tip b/c it's hot and I do not have A/C.
2. Toss kohlrabi, apple, lemon zest, lemon juice, and vinegar in a medium bowl; season with salt. 
3. Add ½ cup mint and gently toss to just combine.
4. Toss toasted hazelnuts and oil in a small bowl to coat; season with salt.
5. Divide kohlrabi salad among plates and top with seasoned hazelnuts, Pecorino, and more mint.
 
Last night's dinner was this salad, plus leftover pork roast and a cucumber salad of mint, dill, cucumbers, lemon juice, and a little mayo. Yum.  

No comments:

Post a Comment