We are a collection of Minneapolis folks cooking, preserving, and harvesting local, seasonal foods. This blog-share is meant to inspire greater culinary genius, as well as continued local food invention. What are YOU concocting in that kitchen of yours?

4.06.2021

Nettle egg-cakes

Ramadan is around the corner, and I plan to fast again, so I am in the time-right-before where I feel both excited and a bit panicky. I decided this year to do a little prep (beyond just cutting caffeine) to decrease some daytime food intake now, so that the sudden switch isn't quite so, well, sudden. Which really means I am eating a little later for brunch, a bit less than I might otherwise. I made these nettle egg cakes today, a riff on the multitude of mostly korean pancakes I have tried lately. I don't know why, but sometimes it is just satisfying to have my breakfast/lunch in pancake form. Savory style. Oooh, which makes me think these would have been good with bacon. (Though I did eat them with some basturma, which is almost as good!)

I made these today with just nettles and red onion, though I have made them before using grated potato, and sometimes cheese along with the greens. This is the simplest version that I ate with some plain yogurt. They were really good, and the recipe is forgiving. You can approximate and increase/decrease the veggies to your tastes. (I am on my last, I think, batch of frozen nettles. Good timing, because the green onions are just getting big enough to harvest, and I dug up some jerusalem artichokes yesterday. And dandelion greens are starting. So, I made it through to spring time vegetables! Fasting for the month will also help with the limited produce!) *I also tried them with coconut and almond flours - I used a combo of both in place of the ones below. It turned out great.

Nettle egg-cakes - Serves 1

  • 1/3 c steamed nettles (or other greens), chopped 
  • 1/4 c red onion, diced small
  • 2 eggs
  • 1-2 tsp arrowroot starch
  • 1-2 T buckwheat flour

Mix all ingredients together; you want a thick consistency - think thick pancake batter. It won't pour so much as scoop. 

Heat some butter, ghee or coconut oil in a skillet. When hot, scoop your batter to the center, and flatten out to a pancake. Cook over med heat for several minutes on each side. This amount makes 2 egg-cakes for me. Serve with plain, thick yogurt, or a little butter, or top with a drizzle of mayo and sriracha. 

No comments:

Post a Comment