We are a collection of Minneapolis folks cooking, preserving, and harvesting local, seasonal foods. This blog-share is meant to inspire greater culinary genius, as well as continued local food invention. What are YOU concocting in that kitchen of yours?

4.01.2021

Shrimp Egg Fried Cabbage-Rice (take 2)

I posted about egg fried cabbage-rice some months ago, and since then I have revised (and improved) my technique and recipe. I literally make this every week - if not for breakfast, then for dinner. My favorite is to throw some shrimp in, which is really easy b/c I just keep a resealable bag of frozen shrimp in the freezer, and voila. Tasty, comforting, and fast. My wok has never gotten so much love!

*I have some gochujang paste in the fridge that I've been using in this dish. You don't need it, or you could use whatever chili paste you have, or use hot peppers plus a little fish sauce. It adds a nice umami kick. Sometimes I also add in some chopped kimchi.

I've experimented with the order I add things to the wok, and my favorite is to do the eggs early. When starting with the eggs, they stick together without just coating everything else, and they stick to the pan less than when I add them at the end. So my preferred method follows, but you really can't go wrong.

Serves 1:

  • 2-3 T sesame oil
  • 1 rib celery, diced
  • 1/4 large onion, diced
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 small carrot, diced
  • 1-2 cups cabbage, chopped small
  • 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2"+ of ginger, minced
  • 4-6 shrimp, de-veined and tails removed, diced 
  • 1-2 T tamari
  • opt: minced chili pepper and dash of fish sauce OR 1-2 tsp gochujang paste
  • salt to taste
  • opt: garnish with sliced scallions

Have all of your veggies/shrimp prepped!

Heat oil in a wok on high heat. Add onion and celery and stir fry for a minute. Push them to the side, and crack two eggs into the wok, ideally there should still be a fair amount of oil for the eggs to crack into. Stir up the eggs so they scramble and cook, mixing with onions/celery.

Add carrot, cabbage, ginger and garlic. Stir and toss for a few minutes. Add shrimp. Cook until pink, 1-2 minutes. Add tamari and gochujang - stir and toss to coat everything. Tip into a large bowl and eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment