We are a collection of Minneapolis folks cooking, preserving, and harvesting local, seasonal foods. This blog-share is meant to inspire greater culinary genius, as well as continued local food invention. What are YOU concocting in that kitchen of yours?

7.24.2010

Pesto omelette and beans


An omelette is a good food choice on days when you get up a little later than you meant to and decide to have an early lunch to go with your morning coffee. Also, an omelette is a good choice for using up leftovers. This is one my sweetie made for me-- it's got tomatoes and mushrooms from the kabobs I made a few days earlier and pesto we froze from our garden last fall. He served it with a side of beans which I pretty much ask to have with every meal. These are sauteed in garlic and butter but you could use olive oil if you prefer. The beans are from our garden and are a kind of purple bean called Royal Burgundy Beans that turns green when you cook them. Their purple color makes them easy to see in the garden when you pick them and I'd grow them again next year just because they're pretty. Our favorite bean, two years in a row now is the skinny green bean in this picture. I saved the packet and wrote "Jamie's Favorite" on it so I remember to order more. They're called Tavera and they seem to stay delicious a little while longer. This is nice because as much as I'd like to I can't go out and pick beans every morning.


1 comment:

  1. I love those Tavera's - I grew "Empress" beans this year (not realizing they were bush beans) - they were fine, but not so delicious as yours. They are heartier though, so they freeze well. I am trying to find a vining bean for space saving purposes. Any suggestions? Do they have as abundant of yields?

    ReplyDelete