We are a collection of Minneapolis folks cooking, preserving, and harvesting local, seasonal foods. This blog-share is meant to inspire greater culinary genius, as well as continued local food invention. What are YOU concocting in that kitchen of yours?

7.23.2010

Smoked Trout Goo and Crackers

The other night Alex made this goo, and I made the crackers.

Goo: Mix all ingredients in the food processor.
Smoked trout (from the Smoke Haus in Duluth!)
Cream cheese (or neufchatel for less fat, eh)
Dill
Chives
Lemon juice

Crackers:
1 cup flour of your choice (I used 1/2 whole wheat bread flour and 1/2 whole wheat pastry flour, but you could use barley flour, buckwheat, whatever)
2 Tbsp. cold butter
Plenty of salt (depending on how you like it)
Flavors/Seeds you like: I used poppy seeds, sesame seeds, thyme, and garlic salt. Nutritional yeast is nice too but we were out.
Water as needed (about 1/4 to 1/2 cup)

Pre-heat oven to 400. Mix the dry ingredients in a food processor, then add the butter. When the mixture is kind of like cornmeal texture, add the water. Once you can form it into a ball, dump it out, break it into 2 or 3 smaller balls, and roll them out one at a time on a floured surface. You have to get them very thin so that they'll bake up crispy, but not so thin as they'll burn. It took me practice to start getting consistent crackers, but it's not really hard. Once you've got a ball rolled out to the right thickness, put it on a floured baking sheet, score it with a knife into cracker-sized sections, and bake for about 10 minutes.

Like kp, I've got Mark Bittman to thank for this one as well, though I've added different stuff, and it's still hard for me not to call him Bobby Bittner. (Don't ask.)

3 comments:

  1. ooh! i have been wanting to make crackers - especially wheat free ones. have you ever made these without any wheat-flour?

    ReplyDelete
  2. okay - i tried it with corn flour and some ground oats and it worked! they don't stick together super well...maybe ill try all with oat flour and see if that is any better...yum. i like salty too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I went to make crackers today, I swore I remembered these as sage/garlic/sesame seed. (Incidentally we received a whole bag of sage in our CSA box, so I think I know where that magical thinking came from.)
    I made the sage/garlic/sesame seed crackers with regular old white flour and they're real good too.
    Thanks, Hilary, for the sesame seed idea!

    ReplyDelete