We are a collection of Minneapolis folks cooking, preserving, and harvesting local, seasonal foods. This blog-share is meant to inspire greater culinary genius, as well as continued local food invention. What are YOU concocting in that kitchen of yours?

3.23.2011

Latkes!

Although it was just Purim, which is not a holiday for latkes, I made some anyways. I have made them before, but never quite so precisely. And never have they turned out so delicious! I made a big batch for future use, refrigerated them, and then heated them up on baking trays to eat crispy and hot (Heat at 400 degrees for 20 minutes or so). I was doubtful, but they tasted just as good as fresh off the griddle. (Note the clever use of grandma's lefse griddle for the latkes - so industrious!)

I have a few latkes left in my freezer so that I can whip up some eggs benedict or eggs florentine anytime...which is a miracle for my gluten free eating habits and my love of eggs benedict. The latke recipe I used is a Smitten Kitchen one (of course). Squeezing the excess potato/onion water out via cheesecloth is GENIUS. I made mine gluten free using Bob's GF baking flour with no discernible difference.

One of these days I will actually find a hollandaise recipe that I like, but until then, I'll eat eggs florentine without the sauce. For these ones I steamed thinly sliced collard greens in salt water, drained them, sauteed them with some butter, and then poached a couple of eggs to put on top.

1 comment:

  1. yum! i love latkes and would eat them everyday if i could. i will have to try the cheesecloth tactic.

    ReplyDelete