We are a collection of Minneapolis folks cooking, preserving, and harvesting local, seasonal foods. This blog-share is meant to inspire greater culinary genius, as well as continued local food invention. What are YOU concocting in that kitchen of yours?

5.07.2011

Southwest Black Bean and Roasted Sweet Potato Burgers

Like the chia seed pudding, I delayed posting this recipe because I feel sheepish about its source. But, these are so delicious that I figured I'd swallow my pride and post. Don't judge me, WFDM!

Southwest Black Bean and Roasted Sweet Potato Burgers
2 c. cooked black beans, mashed (I don't go overboard with the mashing because I like some texture.)
Sweet potatoes to equal 2 cups when peeled and cut into small cubes (I used yams the first time and liked the appearance better.)
2 t. olive oil
Salt
3 oz. yellow onion, diced finely
2 teaspoons garlic
3 T. tamari
2 t. ground cumin
pepper
7 oz. cooked rice (I used brown)
1.5 t. vegetarian Worcestershire sauce (I used a bit more because I love this stuff!)
1 ounce cornmeal, plus 1 ounce from dredging.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Place the mashed black beans in a bowl. Peel and cut the sweet potatoes, dropping them in cold water as you cut them. Drain well and toss with olive oil and salt. Spread them out in an even layer on a lightly oiled baking sheet. Roast in the oven for 25-30 minutes, or until tender. Toss occasionally.

Heat the olive oil in a large saute pan over medium high heat. Add the garlic and onion, and cook until lightly browned. Add the onions to the bowl of beans. Stir in the tamari, cumin, and salt & pepper to taste. Add the cooked rice, sweet potatoes, W. sauce, and 1 oz. of cornmeal. Mix well and adjust the seasonings. Form into patties and dredge lightly in the remaining 1 oz. of cornmeal. Heat a cast-iron skillet over medium heat and add more olive oil. Add the burgers and brown lightly on each side. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes.

Delicious with Veganise and avocado (or guac!). I make a bunch of patties and put the extras in the freezer (on a cutting board) to solidify their shape. Then I wrap them individually in plastic and freeze in a tupperware. (I do biscuits like this too and it's great--pre-formed!)

4 comments:

  1. these look so good. and can i please insert myself into this picture to eat them with you and steve?

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES! I would love to have dinner with you and M soon! (Also, how about that pair of pants next to Steve?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. No judgment - bring on the crazy sexy cleanse book! steve is looking so cute here. so are the pants or sweatshirt or whatever it is...XO

    ReplyDelete