We are a collection of Minneapolis folks cooking, preserving, and harvesting local, seasonal foods. This blog-share is meant to inspire greater culinary genius, as well as continued local food invention. What are YOU concocting in that kitchen of yours?

11.16.2011

Lemongrass tea

I love lemongrass, but had never grown it before, or quite figured out how to use it fresh (I bought a package of frozen stuff from United Noodle that lasted over a year). It turns out that the whole plant, leaves included, makes really delicious tea. The stem, which is thicker, can be used for curries or soups by separating off the dry outer layer and just using the super fragrant inside (minced up since it is kind of rough).

The plant grew pretty tall (a couple of feet), and the green and purple leaves are really rough. It also seems to be doing fine in this cool/frost weather, at least for a little longer. It seems that some people bring their plants inside to winter over in the basement or some such. I imagine you could try it as a big house plant too. (!)

There were several recipes I checked out online, and some of them recommended that you use ONLY the leaves for tea because the stem is too bitter. I did not find this at all. I just plucked some stems at the very base of the plant, removed any really dry or withered parts, and then chopped up the whole thing in 2-3" pieces.


I found that the amount of lemongrass can be pretty flexible, but I tend to go with 10 leaves (roughly three stalks) to 6 cups of water (enough for 4 cups of tea). Just put the leaves and water in a saucepan, bring to a boil, and then lower the heat to simmer for about 10 minutes. Strain out the leaves and drink!


I have to say, I LOVE this tea. I'd have it every day if I had a bigger plant. The tea is nice and lemony, but with a full flavor that is way beyond the citrus lemon. It is delicious with cream and honey, and also nice plain.

No comments:

Post a Comment