We are a collection of Minneapolis folks cooking, preserving, and harvesting local, seasonal foods. This blog-share is meant to inspire greater culinary genius, as well as continued local food invention. What are YOU concocting in that kitchen of yours?

11.27.2011

Pizza (GF)

I happened upon this recipe for a gluten/grain free pizza crust in a book called "Breaking the Vicious Cycle: Intestinal Health Through Diet." I was curious about the book because I have a friend who was recently diagnosed with ulcerative colitis, and this diet is one of the lesser known "cures" of sorts. There are lots of recipes involving almond flour or nut flours, which I was excited about.


So - pizza! This crust was delicious and did not get soggy - I could eat a slice by holding it in my hand, which in my experience is near impossible for gluten-free crusts. And it stayed crispy/solid in leftover form too. woah!
It's also super simple - just a few minutes, and fast baking time. Be aware it is more filling because of the almond flour.

Makes one small/individual pizza
1/2 c. almond flour (add more as needed for a workable dough)
1 egg
1 t. extra virgin olive oil
1/4 t. salt
Italian spices such as oregano and basil to taste

In a bowl mix the above ingredients together and add more flour as needed to form a ball (I needed to add about another 1/4 cup of flour). Oil a pan with olive oil. Add the dough ball pressing down with hands to form the shape of a small pizza crust. The mixture will be pretty wet, and I pressed mine out to get an 8-10" pizza, which resulted in 1/4" crust or so. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and put the crust in the oven while preheating. After 5-10 minutes, the crust should be crisp and ready for toppings. Put your toppings on, and then bake another 10 minutes.


This one was bacon, sweet potato, and carmelized onions. So good!

3 comments:

  1. Paleo Pizza! I'm totally going to try this! Did you grind up your own almonds or buy flour- if you bought it, which brand?

    ReplyDelete
  2. River! yay. I used Bob's Red Mill, which they carry in bulk at the Wedge for way cheaper. I've heard people order some though too for a really fine grind...what do you use?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grind up blanched almonds in a little coffee grinder that we use for flax... it definitely is a pain and I will buy at the Wedge in the future!

    ReplyDelete