We are a collection of Minneapolis folks cooking, preserving, and harvesting local, seasonal foods. This blog-share is meant to inspire greater culinary genius, as well as continued local food invention. What are YOU concocting in that kitchen of yours?

11.25.2011

Pumpkin pie (GF)

I've been eating a little more paleo-like these days, sort of as an experiment in sugar-free, grain-free, low lactose eating. I am not strict about it, but so far it feels really good. Also, it seems that more folks around me are eating this way - or some variation, which makes blog posting about it a little more fun.

So - I brought pumpkin pie to my family feast, making no promises that it would taste good (just in case). Pumpkin pie is just so quintessential. I mean, I have yet to have a vegan version that actually tastes good, and I was worried this could go down the same (dairy-free) route. But, no! This filling actually tops my list of pumpkin pies: honey = delish. It was thicker than other recipes, which I loved. The more non-traditional aspect of the pie was the crust: it was a nut crust (no flour), which was more like a cheesecake graham cracker crust consistency. The nuttiness was really good - and though not the flaky (glutinous) crust of pumpkin pie norms, it was super tasty.

I got the recipe from the website linked above. I used my own pumpkin (it was actually butternut squash, which I roasted for an hour, then cooled and pureed). I liked the fresh ginger a lot, and would maybe use a little more next time. I am also curious how this would turn out with a mix of almonds and pecans...

Crust:
* 1 cup pecans;
* 1/2 cup hazelnuts;
* 4 tbsp butter, ghee or coconut oil (room temperature);
* A pinch of sea salt;

Filling:
* 1 can fresh or canned pumpkin puree (about 1 3/4 cups);
* 2 eggs;
* 1/2 cup local raw honey;
* 1/2 cup coconut milk;
* 2 tsp cinnamon;
* 1/4 tsp ground cloves;
* 1/4 tsp fresh grated ginger;

Preparation
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. Process the nuts in a food processor to almost a flour consistency. Be careful not to process too much and get a butter instead.
3. In a bowl, mix the ground nuts with the butter or coconut oil and then spread the crust mixture in a pie pan and bake for 10 minutes. (See photo of crust after pre-baking.)
4. While the crust bakes, mix all the filling ingredients together in a bowl.
5. Add the filling evenly on the baked crust and bake for an additional 45 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. I made this recipe with a little less honey and substituted walnuts for the pecans, which was great, but kind of oily. Next time I'm going to try almonds and less butter maybe? Definitely an awesome treat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, i want to try almonds next time too. i made a tart this weekend that had a nut crust with a custard apple filling...i'll post it soon, but i liked that crust of butter, honey (i used mostly stevia) and ground almonds a lot. !!

    ReplyDelete