We are a collection of Minneapolis folks cooking, preserving, and harvesting local, seasonal foods. This blog-share is meant to inspire greater culinary genius, as well as continued local food invention. What are YOU concocting in that kitchen of yours?

4.05.2012

Apple Cabbage Bacon Slaw

It seems that I like bacon on anything these days...which may be partly due to the fact that the Beeler bacon ends were on sale at Mississippi Market a few weeks ago, so you could get two pounds for $4. I got many packages to put in the freezer, and now I have such bounty!

I was scrounging around my somewhat bare fridge and cupboards this week for dinner, and upon finding cabbage, apples, and aforementioned bacon, I looked up some slaw recipes. The one I settled on tasted great - more tangy than creamy, and both sweet and savory. I only had a little cabbage, so I used carrots to supplement (which turned out fine, but I think it would be better with 100% cabbage). And I got to use the first garden chives of the season!


Apple Cabbage Bacon Slaw
6 strips bacon, cooked and chopped
1/2 head of napa cabbage (green or red) *I used some carrots too
2 Mcintosh apples, unpeeled, halved, cored, and sliced thin
Juice of 1 lemon
1/2 red onion, sliced thin
1/2 bunch of fresh chives, chopped

Dressing:
1/4 cup grainy mustard
1/4 cup mayonnaise
Pinch of sugar
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Start by cooking the bacon until it is crispy (lately I do this in the oven because it is way easier. Just put the slices in a baking pan at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes, and it's done). Put all slaw ingredients in a bowl. Mix dressing ingredients together, and then fold into the slaw.

PS. The dressing on this slaw is really tasty (especially with homemade mayo), and one absolutely would not need the bacon in there if carnivorous or pork eating was not their thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment