We are a collection of Minneapolis folks cooking, preserving, and harvesting local, seasonal foods. This blog-share is meant to inspire greater culinary genius, as well as continued local food invention. What are YOU concocting in that kitchen of yours?

4.07.2012

Kale Chips

I've been meaning to try making kale chips all winter I think, and it was only after my mom fed me hers (and reported that she makes them all the time) that I finally got to it. She suggested I turn the oven hotter than most recipes say, which worked great for me. These are super simple to make and really tasty. I have yet to find a good way to store them so they stay crispy though. You can stick em back in the oven a day or two later and they'll crisp up again, but when I put them in a baggie, they wilted. Freezing them might work...I want to look for something because it would be a nice way to store garden kale into the winter.

Kale Chips
1 head of kale (I used red russian)
2 T fat (I used coconut oil, my mom uses olive oil)
Salt

Wash and de-stem the kale leaves. Toss with oil to coat each side - I stirred for a nice long while to make sure that all the leaves were thoroughly covered. Bake on a cookie sheet for 15 minutes at 350 degrees, checking leaves midway through to check for brown-ness. Make sure the leaves are spread out in a single layer. You will know they are done when they are crispy to the touch and just turning brown on the edges. Sprinkle with (smoky) salt and eat!

2 comments:

  1. Kale chips are also super delicious with a sprinkle of nutri-yeast! FYI!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh al, i tried it with the nutritional yeast and omg! so good!

    ReplyDelete