We are a collection of Minneapolis folks cooking, preserving, and harvesting local, seasonal foods. This blog-share is meant to inspire greater culinary genius, as well as continued local food invention. What are YOU concocting in that kitchen of yours?

7.16.2012

Paleo Camping food

I am going to the Boundary Waters for a week and am planning to continue the paleo food fest while there. Which is pretty different to think about camping food since for me my past staples were things like rice pasta and things involving potatoes or some fast cooking grain. I am hoping for lots of fish - but in case not, below are some of the products that are coming along (thanks to much research by My Charming Companion, who is spending a month in the BWCA).

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhMQ8flf5cjKYpd2-RZBik9-10bwtv7lqOJntnjvhyphenhyphenoPPU3uu6orRGQRKkQ_4mTTbl8vCCbe0T1l7DzJVhEESDT_AgmVivsYgH4feUmvoN0g4fNFz30c7jO-GlNE_sfNgDN6Xf5ae3V6ho/s1600/Picture+2.png "Ova-Easy" Eggs: This product name cracks me up and I find myself inserting it whenever possible when talking about food and camping, as in "I can't wait to eat some Ova-Easy while looking out at the lake." These eggs are super light weight and the reviews are that they are the best tasting long-shelf life egg that is not the real thing (these are not freeze dried, but are "spray-dried" into "crystals" without any other added weird stuff). And they are about the same price as a dozen organic eggs (though these ones are not organic) at $4.99.


Harmony House dehydrated veggies: This is a family owned business in North Carolina, and they sell all kinds of dried vegetables at a pretty decent price. You can actually get their "Pantry Stuffer" deal of 16 different kinds of veggies all in quart containers for $135. Which would be enough veggies for a pretty lengthy trip. I haven't tried all the veggies yet, but I will report back on my faves.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41gP2sJadWL._SL500_AA300_.jpghttp://www.valleynaturals.com/swatches/51490_L_vvs_000.jpgWillPowder Heavy Cream: though not technically paleo, I like cream in my tea and I want some to add to the Dagoba unsweetened chocolate powder I am bringing to make hot chocolate. The cream is "spray dried" in the new fancy way that the OvaEasy eggs are, creating really nice tasting dairy that does not have the chalkiness of freeze-dried milk/cream. (They make a coconut milk powder too if you prefer non-dairy stuff.)

Shelf-stable Bacon: Broadbent's bacon is nitrate free and salt-cured old-time style, meaning it does not need refrigeration. This stuff is amazing because it adds flavor and fat, and it seems to boost any meal just to have something in there that is not dried.

Coconut Manna is coming along too - since it is basically a more dense form of coconut milk. Water can be added to it to make curries, sauces or soups. It is not as good in beverages though - it tastes grainy. The manna got repackaged into a nalgene bottle (so did the coconut oil) and also functions as a good snack for extra calories!

So. There you have it. Additionally there is a bunch of dried venison jerky and venison burger, as well as dried fruit and macadamia nuts, and ghee too. The food pack is uh, pretty full. My report back on fave meals and products, and how some of these things worked out post-vacation is here. I also have revised my food pack to now always include some paleo energy bars (my top fave snack)!

1 comment:

  1. These items all look great- especially coconut manna. I hope you have a great camping trip!

    ReplyDelete