We are a collection of Minneapolis folks cooking, preserving, and harvesting local, seasonal foods. This blog-share is meant to inspire greater culinary genius, as well as continued local food invention. What are YOU concocting in that kitchen of yours?

8.13.2012

Babaganoush

I don't remember ever making babaganoush before, though I remember the first time I had it as a kid - I thought it was SO delicious. Way better than hummus. I got a big eggplant from my friend's CSA (thanks KT) last week, and decided to roast it and make a batch of babaganoush. It's pretty easy - just roast the eggplant and blend it up with a few other things. It turns out it tastes a little weird warm, so make sure you chill it after you are done! I had it with roasted tomatoes, zucchini, lamb and peppers tonight and it was really good.

Babaganoush
1 large eggplant, or 2 medium small ones
1/4 cup tahini
juice of 1 lemon (maybe a little more)
2 T olive oil
1+ tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp cayenne

1. Prick the eggplant all over with a fork. Roast it in a 400 degree oven for 30-35 minutes. It will look soft and deflated when it is done. (*I read that before roasting it, you can "char" the skin over a gas flame for 5-10 minutes to get a nice smoky flavor. I will try that next time!)
2. Let the eggplant cool, or put it in a cold water bath for 5 minutes. Once it is cool enough to handle, peel off the skin and chop the eggplant into big chunks - set aside.
3. In a food processor, blend the tahini with the olive oil, lemon and spices to "fluff up" the tahini. This will help make the mixture extra light. Add in the eggplant and blend again, until it is creamy with some texture. Taste and adjust seasoning as you want. I added in a little more lemon to mine because I like it a little tangy.
4. Chill in refrigerator and serve! Try it with roasted veggies, or as a dip for raw cucumber and carrots. It would also be nice with some paleo crackers, but I am not feeling so ambitious even though she says they are really easy. Tomorrow I am going to try it on a burger....
*Fresh parsley would also be good in there if you have it!

No comments:

Post a Comment