We are a collection of Minneapolis folks cooking, preserving, and harvesting local, seasonal foods. This blog-share is meant to inspire greater culinary genius, as well as continued local food invention. What are YOU concocting in that kitchen of yours?

11.19.2012

Glazed Delicata Squash

It seems that this month is the one to eat copious quantities of squash. I have some kind of squash pretty much everyday, sometimes more. Yum. Last night I went to my friend and neighbor's Harvest Dinner, which is a lovely gathering to celebrate the harvest, friends, and gratitude. This year I used some of the delicata and herbs from the garden, and also some cider from apples I helped pick and press last year. It turned out pretty delicious - sweet and tangy, with some savory herb bites.

I stayed fairly true to the original recipe, but did not peel the squash. I find it so novel that you can eat delicata peel that I just can't imagine why I would go to the trouble. I also baked it all in the oven instead of cooking it on the stove top, which worked nicely for a larger batch (I made extra), and it turns out I needed less cider that way.

Serves 6-8
2 medium delicata squash (about 2 pounds total)
3 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh sage
1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh rosemary
1 1/4 cups apple cider
2 teaspoons cider vinegar
Salt and pepper
 
1. Cut squash in half lengthwise and scrape out the seeds with a spoon. Cut each piece in half lengthwise again, and then crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Heat oven to 375.
2.  Melt butter in a heavy large skillet over low heat (or in the oven in a large baking pan). Add the herbs. Cook, stirring, until the butter just starts to turn golden brown, about 3 to 5 minutes (don’t brown the herbs). Add the squash to the skillet/pan. Toss to coat. Add cider, vinegar and salt to taste. Bake in the oven, stirring occasionally, at 375, until the liquid has boiled down to a glaze and the sauce is tender, about 20 to 30 minutes, adding a few tablespoons of water if the glaze gets too thick (I did not need to do this, and this happens quickly. The pan goes from cider-y to glazed in a few minutes!)
3. Season with pepper and additional salt, if necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment