We are a collection of Minneapolis folks cooking, preserving, and harvesting local, seasonal foods. This blog-share is meant to inspire greater culinary genius, as well as continued local food invention. What are YOU concocting in that kitchen of yours?

11.13.2012

Coconut chips!

I came across this little snack chip on The Clothes Make the Girl blog, and tried it this morning to bring as a treat with my lunch. It's like a salty/sweet coconut flavor that is really good and so easy. (I could just make these and the seaweed chips non-stop, eating them as they are ready!)

From Clothes Make the Girl blog
All you need is large coconut flakes/chips (they sell them in bulk at the Seward), salt, and cinnamon. I also added in a little chipotle to mine, and that was tasty too. There are lots of variation options: some vanilla for something more sweet, some slivered nuts, paprika for a savory snack, etc.

1 c. coconut chips
1/4 t salt
1/4 t cinnamon
pinch chipotle

Mix salt and spices together in a small bowl. Put a dry cast iron skillet (or non-stick pan) on medium heat. Lay coconut flakes evenly across the pan, stir frequently. It just takes a few minutes for the flakes to brown, so stay nearby. Remove from heat when browned, transfer to a bowl. Sprinkle/shake with the spicy salt. Let cool, then store in an airtight container. Or just eat em all up!

3 comments:

  1. I've seen these on that blog- thanks for reminding me that I need to make them. I have been looking for a new snack. I was overdoing it on pumpkin and coconut sounds like the way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delicious! I made mine with a little vanilla + cinnamon. YUM! Thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete