We are a collection of Minneapolis folks cooking, preserving, and harvesting local, seasonal foods. This blog-share is meant to inspire greater culinary genius, as well as continued local food invention. What are YOU concocting in that kitchen of yours?

11.18.2012

Pumpkin pancakes (paleo)

My friend Mary started a small farm venture last summer, including lots of amazing squash. She gave me a huge one - i don't even know the name of it - and I finally cooked it up in preparation for my future pumpkin dessert making plans. I had plenty of puree, so I've been seeking out a couple of recipes to use it in. This morning I made pumpkin pancakes and they turned out delicious!  They are basically just pumpkin puree, eggs, a little coconut flour, and butter/coconut oil. The texture was really nice, a little more thin than fluffy, with a hint of pumpkin taste.


Here is my slightly modified version that made 6-8 pancakes:
4 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
1-2 Tbsp coconut flour (not necessary if using canned pumpkin, which is thicker)
2 tablespoons butter or coconut oil, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 Tbsp honey (optional)
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
pinch salt

1. Whisk the eggs, canned pumpkin, pure vanilla extract, and honey together. Mix the coconut flour, spices, and baking soda in a small bowl, and then whisk into the wet ingredients.
2. Mix the melted butter into the batter.
3. Grease a skillet and spoon the batter into the skillet to make pancakes of your desired size. When a few bubbles appear, flip the pancakes once to finish cooking.
4. Serve! I had mine with some blueberries heated up with a little coconut cream. Sauteed apples would also be good, or just butter and cinnamon.

No comments:

Post a Comment