We are a collection of Minneapolis folks cooking, preserving, and harvesting local, seasonal foods. This blog-share is meant to inspire greater culinary genius, as well as continued local food invention. What are YOU concocting in that kitchen of yours?

1.14.2013

Creamed Lamb's Quarters with Eggs

Remember last spring when I posted about the really prolific and delicious weed Lamb's Quarters? Well, it keeps very well in the freezer if you blanch it/steam it for a few minutes, squeeze out any excess water, and freeze the greens in a baggie. And the lamb's quarters are DELICIOUS in the creamed spinach recipe I posted in November. Actually, they are better than the spinach I think because they are a bit heartier. Really, I will never go back to spinach. Lamb's quarters are so much better and I don't even need to plant them.

I recommend making a double batch for dinner one night: Eat one batch's worth for dinner (I ate some with steak and bacon) and then eat batch 2 for breakfast a la eggs florentine. Just reheat the creamed lamb's quarters/spinach in a saucepan or cast iron and then either poach your eggs right in the greens, or make a couple of eggs to put on top. This would be excellent on some ham with hollandaise sauce if you want to go for the whole shebang. *Note: I used a little less coconut milk/cream than the original creamed spinach recipe, and I think it turned out nicely. I also played with the ratios and used a little more coconut cream than dairy cream. I suspect this recipe would be good with all coconut milk/cream if you want to go that route.

1 comment:

  1. love this idea- creamed anything sounds really good right now- very nourishing- i will try dairy free and let you know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete