We are a collection of Minneapolis folks cooking, preserving, and harvesting local, seasonal foods. This blog-share is meant to inspire greater culinary genius, as well as continued local food invention. What are YOU concocting in that kitchen of yours?

1.21.2013

Paleo Coconut Curry

I am a huge fan of curry and was so excited to put together my own version of a coconut curry.  I have been making my own coconut milk recently and it is tasty, but has a very thin consistency and not very good for cooking as a result.  The canned version is much thicker but always contains guar gum, a no-no on my particular eating plan.  Then, Megan let me know that Seward started carrying Natural Value Organic Coconut Milk that doesn't have any guar gum or other additives.  It also happens to be in a BPA-free can.  So exciting!  Thanks for the tip, Meg!  I was finally able to make a creamy and delicious curry- yum.

I kept the recipe really simple since I don't have very many of the traditional curry spices on hand.  I basically just used sea salt, pepper, and a bunch of turmeric.

Ingredients:

2 Chicken thighs- diced
1/4 yellow onion- diced
1 garlic clove- minced
1/2 can coconut milk
handful of parsley- chopped (cilantro would probably be better)
3 big pieces of bok choy- chopped
large bunch of spinach
sea salt- to taste
pepper- to taste
turmeric- to taste (I used 2-3 tsps)
1 Tbsp coconut oil

Directions:
in cast iron pan on stove top melt coconut oil and saute the onion until soft.  Add garlic and gently saute for a minute before adding the diced chicken.  Saute the chicken for a few minutes, turning to cook on all sides. Add salt, pepper, turmeric, coconut milk and cook on medium heat for a couple minutes before adding the bok choy, spinach and parsley (zucchini or cauliflower would be good as well).  Once the veggies are in, cook for 5-10 minutes, until the veggies are soft and the chicken is cooked through.

Makes 2 servings.  I ate one serving and used the rest for leftovers the next day.  Just as good, if not better, the second time around.  Very satisfying meal for a cold winter evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment