We are a collection of Minneapolis folks cooking, preserving, and harvesting local, seasonal foods. This blog-share is meant to inspire greater culinary genius, as well as continued local food invention. What are YOU concocting in that kitchen of yours?

1.04.2013

Leftover Turkey Stew


I made another turkey for Christmas.  This time it was a huge 15 pounder.  I used the roasting bag again and it turned out just as good as the one I made at Thanksgiving.  Now I have a huge amount of leftover turkey and I am on the hunt for lots of ways to use it.  Tonight I made turkey stew, which was really just a little bit of this and that, and it turned out really well.  It had a lot to do with the lovely turkey broth I was able to make from the turkey carcass.  The broth was really flavorful and that helped to make my stew good as well.  Since I had just made a big turkey dinner I had quite a few leftovers to add to my pot.  Here is a list of what went it.

Ingredients:                      
Turkey
Carrots
Celery
Onion
Turkey Stock
Fresh Parsley
Fresh Rosemary
Sea Salt
Pepper
Butter
   
Instructions:
I let the carrots simmer in the broth until they were almost tender before adding the onion and celery to the pot.  I let all the veggies simmer for 5-10 minutes and then added the turkey and, parsley, and rosemary.  Salt and pepper was added as I went.  After ladling it into a bowl I put a pad of butter on top, which gave the meal some much needed fat and a little extra hit of flavor.

Soup making is one of my favorite past times these days.  I don't usually follow a recipe.  It is much more fun to just get the pot on the stove and add things.  I make a lot of pureed soups, which will be even easier thanks to the hand immersion blender my Mom got me for Christmas- Thanks Mom!  Now I can blend the soup right there in the pan- amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment