We are a collection of Minneapolis folks cooking, preserving, and harvesting local, seasonal foods. This blog-share is meant to inspire greater culinary genius, as well as continued local food invention. What are YOU concocting in that kitchen of yours?

2.10.2013

Bacon wrapped Sardines

My longest standing memory of sardines is from the movie/play "Noises Off!" In the film version it is Carol Burnett who keeps getting to talk about the sardines, but really all of the characters do and I remember finding the whole thing hysterical when I was young. I think it was the way Carol Burnett said sardines, or just the way the sardines became like a character in the whole show.


Anyway - I had never actually had sardines until a year or two ago when I ate them copiously with rice, and then on cucumber slices after I stopped eating grains. My co-workers think it is an odd lunch, but sardines make Mark's Daily Apple list of top foods that are chock full of good stuff for you. They fall in the category of "Tiny fish with heads and guts" - though the brand I buy (and that is currently on sale for $2 each at the co-ops) is Wild Planet, and the heads are no longer on the fish. Alas. But you still get the guts and all the Omega 3's and algae and all that.

In the winter I often like to eat lunches that are warm or hot - so I was excited to stumble upon this bacon wrapper idea for the sardines. It's also kind of festive, you could make these as a party appetizer if you were so inclined. I have thought about stuffing a little water chestnut (a la Rumaki - which is liver and water chestnut wrapped in bacon) inside too, but have not tried it yet. This is such a good weekend lunch with a little soup or salad.

I get the Beeler bacon ends because they are cheaper, but each package inevitably includes some strips of bacon that are thin or too fat, and also a bunch of shorter bits. I find the "ends" work well to wrap the sardines in because they tend to be smaller, but regular slices would work too. You probably will need to cut them in half though.

Just wrap a bacon slice around each sardine - you can keep it in place with a toothpick, but I just wrap them up and tuck the bacon end under the sardine. Bake on a cookie sheet for 20-25 minutes at 350 degrees, until bacon is crispy. Dip them in homemade mayo if you want, or eat them as is!

No comments:

Post a Comment