We are a collection of Minneapolis folks cooking, preserving, and harvesting local, seasonal foods. This blog-share is meant to inspire greater culinary genius, as well as continued local food invention. What are YOU concocting in that kitchen of yours?

2.01.2013

Chicory "coffee"

A couple of weeks ago I discovered chicory root "coffee" - really, it is a root and more of a tea, but this is the most coffee like substance that is not coffee that I have ever had. (I will note that I have only been drinking decaf for the past two years, and not everyday, so maybe that affects things?)

I have been getting roasted chicory root in bulk at either the Seward ($18/lb - it's organic) or the Wedge ($13.30/lb - conventional), and I mix it with another tea of some kind. Straight up chicory is a little strong for me - it's bitter and rich and feels high octane - but I love it as a blend. I've become a bit obsessed lately, and I have a cup with almost every meal.


Apparently chicory is found wild throughout the United States, including Minnesota. The purple flowers and tall height seem easy to spot, so I will keep my eye out. There is a nice post from Hunter Angler Gardner Cook about his experience growing chicory and roasting it to make the coffee/tea. I am intrigued to try to find some root 9or look into growing it?) and roast it because the roasting smell sounds amazing, in addition to the tastiness.

So, in the meanwhile, if you procure yourself some chicory, my method of preparation is similar to cowboy coffee.
Chicory in St Paul

For one 8oz mug:
1 tsp roasted chicory
1 tsp or 1/2 tea bag of tea of choice

Put the water, chicory and tea in a small pot on the stove. Heat it just until it starts to simmer, then turn the heat to low to have a low simmer for a minute or so. Remove from heat and strain out the tea/chicory through a tea strainer.

This is the dairy free cream - it is like whipped cream!
The tea will be very dark - the chicory is almost inky black, more so than coffee. I like it with lots of cream. I also tried it with this dairy free cream that is really thick - it was really good in this beverage - it made it taste almost chocolatey. 

My favorite teas to use in combo with chicory are:
Twig (very slightly caffeinated, sold in bulk at the Wedge or in boxes at the Seward)
Yogi Tahitian Vanilla Hazelnut
Rooibus or Vanilla Rooibus
Decaf Green Tea

I have not liked a combo with anything fruity - it doesn't go with the bitterness of the chicory to me. You could also go with a coffee/chicory blend, which seems to be the most common way to have chicory. If you try that, use 1 T coffee with the 1 tsp chicory. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I tried chicory root and dandelion root together- very strong. However, the addition of plenty of coconut cream really off-sets the strong chicory flavor. I may give your version a try. I miss having a hot beverage during the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice blog comment roasted chicory I like chicory extract this is hallty is the valuable herb which for a long time has

    won popularity in national medicine.roasted chicory was also often prescribed by herbalists of recent centuries to

    cure a whole host of ailments; the herbalist of the middle ages often recommended herbal remedies made from the

    roasted chicory as tonics, as laxatives, and as diuretics.
    http://www.adeptimpex.com/roasted_chicory.php

    ReplyDelete