We are a collection of Minneapolis folks cooking, preserving, and harvesting local, seasonal foods. This blog-share is meant to inspire greater culinary genius, as well as continued local food invention. What are YOU concocting in that kitchen of yours?

2.08.2013

Paleo Tuna Melt (in a pepper)

As I kid I used to love tuna: tuna salad, "tuna on toast" (which seems to be a midwestern concoction of cream of mushroom soup mixed with tuna heated up, poured over toast or shoestring potatoes. Kind of strange sounding now, but I loved it), and I especially loved tuna melts - something about the crunchy toast and warm tuna and salty olives. Yum.

Last summer, when I still had garden green peppers, I tried making tuna stuffed peppers as a version of a tuna melt. It turned out great - somehow the roasted pepper keeps that nice crisp feeling that is slightly toast like, while also being charred. Charred peppers as toast - who knew?!

I had one this week for dinner - it is super easy and fast, without any fussing. You know, one of those dinners I can make in 10 minutes and then eat it while watching Top Chef or whatever...it's one of those bachelor weeknight moments. 

Paleo Tuna Melt (for one)
1 Pepper (any color works)
1 can tuna
homemade mayo
mustard
olives
celery
onion
parsley
salt and pepper
Anything else you like in your tuna salad

1. Cut pepper in half, de-seed it, and put both halves (bottom side up) under the broiler for 5-7 minutes. You want them to blacken just a little.
2. While peppers are roasting, mix up your tuna salad however you like - I like to chop everything up small and use a good amount of mayo.
3. When peppers are starting to blacken, pull them out to stuff. They will be really hot, so I usually need to use oven mitts to hold them while I stuff them with the tuna mix.
4. Put the stuffed peppers back in the broiler, face up this time. Roast them for another 5-7 minutes until the tops brown. Eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment