We are a collection of Minneapolis folks cooking, preserving, and harvesting local, seasonal foods. This blog-share is meant to inspire greater culinary genius, as well as continued local food invention. What are YOU concocting in that kitchen of yours?

4.10.2013

Roasted Radishes

Well, the spring seems to be slow in coming - although my green onions are just starting to shoot up and are nearly an inch tall! (They are 3" tall in the sunny side yard at the northside homestead.)

So, while I wait patiently, or not so patiently depending on the day, for asparagus, green onions, and snap peas, I tried Bon Appetit's Roasted Radish recipe with some of the remaining local watermelon radishes from the Seward. I love these radishes, though they are quite large and nothing like the original recipe's call for a more spring like "2 bunches of medium radishes" with greens. The watermelon variety grows in the fall, and they get quite large. I ordered seeds to try growing them this year, so we'll see how that goes. Some other new gardening trials (to me) this year will include a kabocha-type-squash (which I am so hopeful to turn out because I loved eating them so much last year), eggplant, and I think I got some brussel sprouts seeds too. Mmmm!

I ate these radishes with the first pork chop from my half hog order, and they tasted delicious. I used fresh parsley in lieu of the radish greens - but I think radish tops would be great as a spicy addition, or arugula when that is growing for more of a salad sort of dish. The radishes melt in your mouth!


Roasted Radishes with Lemon Butter
2 bunches medium radishes (such as red, pink, and purple; about 20 - cut lengthwise in half, reserving greens) OR 6 large watermelon radishes (cut in half lengthwise and then cut again in 6 or 8 pieces)
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
Coarse kosher salt 
2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) unsalted butter 
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice

1. Preheat oven to 450°F. Add 11/2 tablespoons olive oil to cut radishes and toss thoroughly to coat in a rimmed baking sheet or cake pan. Place radishes, cut side down; sprinkle lightly with coarse salt. Roast until radishes are crisp-tender, stirring occasionally, about 18 minutes. Season to taste with more coarse kosher salt, if desired. 
2. Melt butter in heavy small skillet over medium-high heat. Add pinch of coarse kosher salt to skillet and cook until butter browns, swirling skillet frequently to keep butter solids from burning, about 3 minutes. Remove skillet from heat and stir in fresh lemon juice. 
3. Transfer roasted radishes to warmed shallow serving bowl and drizzle brown butter over. Sprinkle with chopped radish tops (or parsley or arugula if using the watermelon radishes) and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment