We are a collection of Minneapolis folks cooking, preserving, and harvesting local, seasonal foods. This blog-share is meant to inspire greater culinary genius, as well as continued local food invention. What are YOU concocting in that kitchen of yours?

4.01.2013

Roasted Fennel, Turnip, Leek Salad with Horseradish

Pre-dressed roasted veggies
While at the Seward this weekend I one, bought a half hog (!?), and two, bought some really random veggies with no plan of what to do with them. I was trying to get things grown more locally than not, and the last hangers-on as purely local that are still in stock at the co-op are beets and turnips. There might be a few watermelon radishes left too. (I just came across a really nice roasted radish recipe that looks super delicious for the upcoming radish season!) So I got some of the WI root veggies and a few California sourced veggies too, including fennel and leeks.

I was browsing the magazines at My Charming Companion's parent's house yesterday at Easter dinner, most particularly Bon Appetit (which includes aforementioned roasted radish ideas). So tonight I came home in search of something I could do with these random veggies in my fridge - and thought of Bon Appetit's recipe collection online. There I came across the inspiration for this AMAZING salad (that they pair with trout). Their recipe uses fingerling potatoes and shallots, mine uses turnips and leeks, but is otherwise the same. Turnips, incidentally, have less carbs than beets or carrots, and I think they are delicious when roasted. I forgot about how good they are - sort of sweet and earthy at the same time.

This recipe seems pretty flexible to what you have - I tried the dressing with beets, and that was tasty, and I think carrots would be nice in here too. Play around and adjust as you want - the horseradish-mustard dressing is so nice, and the fennel and leeks are such a springy change! Yum. I ate mine with some venison steak, but I am sure fish would be nice with some of the dressing poured on top.

Fennel, Turnip, Leek Salad with Horseradish
4 medium sized turnips, unpeeled, cut into 1/2-inch wedges
1 medium fennel bulbs, cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch wedges with some core intact 
2 leeks, sliced about 1-inch thick 
4 tablespoons olive oil, divided 
2 teaspoons Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper 
1 tablespoons prepared horseradish 
1 tablespoons red wine vinegar 
1 1/2 teaspoon whole grain mustard 
1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Here they are before they went in the oven
1. Preheat oven to 450°. Toss turnips, fennel, and shallots with 2 tablespoons oil on a large rimmed baking sheet; season with salt and pepper and arrange vegetables cut side down. Roast on low rack of oven until beginning to brown, about 20 minutes. 
2. Toss vegetables on a baking sheet and continue to roast until vegetables are tender 5-8 minutes longer. 
3. Whisk horseradish, vinegar, and mustard in a medium bowl. Gradually whisk in remaining 2 tablespoons oil and season vinaigrette with salt and pepper. 
4. Drizzle vinaigrette over vegetables, add parsley, and toss to combine. I also put a few fennel fronds in there. Serve warm or at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment